Automator - Batch Watermark one pdf?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to create an action or workflow that will allow for batch watermarking of a single pdf.

I have created a folder with jpg's for each of the desired watermarks.

The watermarks are simply first and last names, and will ultimately grow to upwards of 60.

I have created an action in Automator that successfully adds the watermark, copies and renames the file, and places it in a new folder.

The goal is to right click on the pdf, select the workflow, and generate renamed pdfs with the appropriate watermark attached.

As it stands - this action works correctly for a single watermark, but when I try to generate anything beyond that, the file is named correctly with the desired name and extension, but the first watermark in the action chain is the only one that is attached.

Here is the order of operations:

1) Watermark PDF Documents (I am adding a first and last name watermark from a saved .jpg)
2) Copy Finder Items
3) Rename Finder Items: Add Text
4) Move Finder Items
5) Reveal Finder Items

The process works to this point.

A new file is created with the appropriate extension and saved in the desired folder.

What I would like to automate is repeating this process with a single click, adding a second, third, fourth name and so on, each time creating a new appropriately named file.

The problem I am running into is that, while it is successfully creating the additional pdf files in the correct folder - it is not overwriting the 1st watermark in the chain.

The complete Automator action I built looks like this...

1) Watermark PDF Documents (Name 1.jpg)
2) Copy Finder Items
3) Rename Finder Items: Add Text (File_Name1.pdf)
4) Move Finder Items
5) Reveal Finder Items

Repeat Steps 1 - 5

6) Watermark PDF Documents (Name 2.jpg)
7) Copy Finder Items
8) Rename Finder Items: Add Text (File_Name2.pdf)
9) Move Finder Items
10) Reveal Finder Items

Is there a way to overwrite or erase the Watermark from Step 1 with the Watermark from Step 6?

Thanks!

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

We have a few folks here with some AppleScript/Automator knowledge, so hopefully they will chime in. You can also post this question at the following link - they have much more experience with all things Mac scripting:

MacScripter

C

Ask a Question