AppleScript no longer works

Reaction score
I had a perfectly good automator script which has been working for a year or two, then it all of a sudden no longer works.
The Automator script created a service so when I right-click on a file name, it copies it into a Backup folder off of whatever the current folder is, then renames it to include the date. This script was on my right-click context menu, but now it's gone.

I know... there's an automator forum. But the automator script contains a step which runs AppleScript, so I thought this was a good place to start. This script now returns an error when I try to run it:
Code:
on run {input, parameters}

tell application "Finder"
        set output to (container of item 1 of input) as alias
    end tell
    return output
end run

When I run this code, I get this error: "Can’t make «class ctnr» of item 1 into type alias."
Item 1 of input was the file I right-clicked on, so I guess container is the folder.

Can anybody suggest a better way to code this applescript part so it doesn't return a syntax error?
Thanks...

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

We have a few folks here with some AppleScript/Automator knowledge, so hopefully they will chime in. You can also post this question at the following link - they have much more experience with all things Mac scripting:

MacScripter

C

Ask a Question