Am Idiot; please help; many thanks

Reaction score
Ok.

So. I had a folder on my desktop (work-stuff) which I decided, tonight, about an hour ago, that I should put into my Documents, as I wanted to clear off the screen. So, I drag-n-drop into Documents, but (and there's always but in these stories, aren't there?) when I dumped the folder into the window, it turned into an alias of the folder I wanted to move and not the folder itself.

Weird. Sure. Whatever.

I mouse over the alias and mean to drag it to the trash, my finger slips and I dump the alias on the desktop instead. And the folder I wanted to move has now been replaced by the alias -- something I don't understand, as I didn't ok an overwrite. But the folder is GONE, vanished, disappered in the ether!

So. I need to find a way to get this folder back and for the life of me, I can't find it anywhere. It's work stuff, client info that I need...actually for tomorrow and I'm more or less screwed without it. Please (please) tell me I haven't deleted it (nothing's in the trash) and please (please) let me know how I can get it back!

Thanks so much!

By the by, I have a macbook, runing on osx.4.8

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

you're only hope is Data Rescue ll or similar, sorry. There is currently no retreival software built into the Mac.

The files should be recoverable...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question