Advice retrieving old files/data off of 1995 PowerMac

Reaction score
Hi,

I have an old (as in very old - 1995) Mac that I need to access and retrieve files from it. I can't find my back up discs, so need to have the files copied from the old Mac. I no longer have the monitor.

I took it to a computer guy who just replied:
"It seems there are very few alternatives to getting your data from you old SCSI drive. One is finding a monitor for the computer but there is the problem of transferring the data from the Mac itself as it does not have USB ports. The best way I have found is by getting a Power Mac G3 (?) and adding the hard drive to it as well as a USB card in the PCI slot allowing it to have usb ports on it. I have said they make an adapter for everything. It just looks like they have not made one for doing what we want to do, yet. "

Is this correct? Or are there other options?
I was told by someone that I could get a cable to connect the old PowerMac to my current Mac desktop (A DVI on one end and an USB on the other I think it was). I would be able to see the hard drive on my current desktop and retrieve the files this way.

Another tech told me the above wouldn't work because of the differences in the computer makeups. I'm so confused! I'm a designer and so the technology of computers I really know little about.

Any help or advice would be so appreciated!!!

Thanks so much,

Rinn

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

-Which exact model is the 1995 Power Mac?
-Which OS is it running?
-Which model is your current desktop Mac and version of OS?

You cannot connect it using a DVI to USB cable...not sure where they got that information. DVI (Digital Video Interface) is a video connection, not data.

We'll go from there.

C

Reaction score
Hi Cory,

It's a Powe Mac 6200.
I never upgraded the OS on this, so system 7.5.1?
Current OS is El Capitan. I wanted to upgrade my system, but I use the older Create Suite and was told by Mac Genius that may not be supported in upgraded OS. Hopefully he told me correctly, but if you have thoughts please share!

Thanks,

Sheri

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
OK, thanks.

I remember the 6200...it will be REALLY though to get data off of its drive. It basically only has an external SCSI port. The internal drive connection is ATA/IDE from what I remember, so you may be able to find a drive dock that you could remove and connect the hard drive to, then connect to your current Mac. I wouldn't mess with finding a G3 and adding cards.

Honestly, that would pretty much be the easiest and only way.

C

Ask a Question