2009 Apple iMac

Reaction score
I have a 2009 27" imac that the screen is dark. I know that the system is booting up though. Is there a way for me to use target mode with my apple laptop to get the pictures off the imac? Or is there a way for me to get into the iMac from my laptop to navigate to files in the iMac? Thank you

PS. My MacBook Air laptop is a 2015.

Reaction score
I have a 2009 27" imac that the screen is dark. I know that the system is booting up though. Is there a way for me to use target mode with my apple laptop to get the pictures off the imac? Or is there a way for me to get into the iMac from my laptop to navigate to files in the iMac? Thank you

Okay, the only connection your Macs have in commen is USB. The iMac has Firewire but not the Air. I have never tried target disk mode over USB, only with Firewire and USB-C/Thunderbolt, but it could be worth a try.

Boot up the iMac while pressing down the T key. Once you feel sure that it has booted into TDM (since you can’t see the screen), connect the two with a USB cable. It will show up, hopefully, on the MacBook Air as an external drive.

If successful, copy away. You can also try Migration to make the transfer. Good luck.

Reaction score

How about hardware test?
Hold down the “D” key during a restart.
With the bluetooth keyboard, you may have to connect it to a charging cable.

Ask a Question