X11 terminal help

Reaction score
When I launch X11 from the Dock or from Utilities or wherever, a terminal window pops up. I have tried everything I am aware of to make that "xterm" window not pop up everytime X11 is launched. Could someone give me some code to fix this? I know Ric is making a tutorial tomorrow night, but I am having a lot of fun with OpenOffice and I am trying to write a paper. It's just becoming annoying. :confused: Thanks

Searay345

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

create a text file...

called:

.xinitrc

and type into it:

Code:
source /sw/bin/init.sh

exec /usr/X11R6/bin/quartz-wm

Save it in your home folder.

Then when X11 is launched it won't open a Terminal window.

xinitrc.jpg

I have attached the file needed. But have left of the . off, this will be have to put back in the file name at the front, when you have it in the correct folder.

regards

Ric

Attachments

• xinitrc.zip
    521 bytes · Views: 305
Reaction score
Ok, I have download the file. I moved the file into my home folder. I see that I have to put the . back in the filename. Obviously, you can't just do that in the finder. You get this: you cannot use a name that begins with dot ".". So I opened the file and tried save as and then added the dot. But whenever I do that, I get this message: Syntax Error, A unknown token can't go after this identifier. When I click ok, it highlights "init." in the first line of the code. I don't see a reason why it would do this. I'm stumped.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

apologies I sometimes forget to add bits !

There are lots of different ways of adding the .

Go to http://barebones.com/ and download TextWrangler it's free !
Just open the file I supplied then do a save as and add the . at the front.

Move the file into the home folder then open up Terminal and use the 'move' command (this will rename it)

Code:
mv ~/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc

You can also tell the Finder to "Show invisible files" this will then allow you to add the . via the Finder. Then you you can move the file to the desired location...then hide invisibles again.

Little App attached that will allow you to show invisibles...

regards

Ric

Attachments

• Invisibility 1.0.zip
    16.8 KB · Views: 291
Reaction score
Thanks Ric, I still have one more problem. Now X11 won't stay open. As soon as I launch it, it quits. I tried opening OpenOffice right away, which should launch X11, and OpenOffice just hangs because X11 just quits as soon as you open it. I have tried all three methods with no luck. It's been a while since I've done any programing, so I'm a bit rusty and I've never have done this on a Mac before. But I don't see anything wrong with the code. Thanks for that little app....That's going to come in handy. I was able to remove the .xinitrc file with that app, so I can run OpenOffice in the mean time. Thanks for all the help so far.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

no problem !

What version of OS X are you running ?

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have added another zip archive here...

Make sure Safari is set to 'not' auto uncompress...then download the attachment, it's the same as before but inside the .zip the file name has already been named correctly.

Then copy this zip archive into your home directory and double click it. This will now add in the correct file. (just in case the one you have created is no good)

regards

Ric

Attachments

• xinitrc.zip
    525 bytes · Views: 291
Reaction score
Hey Ric. I tried your recent post with the new zip file. I am still having the same problem. X11 just quits after launch. Here are my computer specs:

PowerBook 17" 1.67 GHz (about a year old)
OS X 10.4.6
Finder Version: 10.4.5
2 GB RAM
128 MB VRAM

Thanks for the help again.

Searay345

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have the same one !

Try updating to 10.4.6, if you want !

What version of X11 have you got ? Mine is X11 1.1 - XFree86 4.4.0

Repair permissions, and try again.

All I can think off at the minute, there's no reason why it shouldn't work ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hey Ric, this is now getting weird. It still quits. I have the same X11 program you do. I also tried repairing permissions with and without the Tiger CD. I am running 10.4.6 as well. I am stumped for now.

Ric

Reaction score
Ahh the joy of computers !

All things being equal it should work, try a new user account and do it in that to see if it works...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question