Will this work?

Reaction score
My mate has a poorly iPod (photo). It won't mount when plugged into his G3 PB (pismo) on usb and returns a PEOF error in disk utility. He has a lot of tracks on the pod, with no backup copies.
I'm tempted to try Disk Warrior to see if we can get the brute to behave itself, so he can at least back up, before doing a restore.
It works OK to play music but has no way of syncing , manual or otherwise. Anyone got any suggestions? They would be most gratefully received. (Its a guilt thing. I got him into the iPod and sold him the pismo!)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

I'm not sure if the iPods drive uses the exact 'format' of a normal Mac Drive...

I haven't got an iPod...but have just looked on Wifeys... Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

So in theory Disk Warrior may help...I haven't got it with me at the minute...but I have had a look in DataRescue and that would/should recover the music...not quite sure if DiskWarrior, repairing the Directory will help or do any further damage...but it's worth a go !

datarescueipod1.jpg

datarescueipod2.jpg

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ah, thank you. That would be be worth a go. My friend may balk at $99 to salvage the contents. The Pismo only has a 10gb HD, so with Tiger and associated apps on board, space is too tight for him to store all his pod contents on board.
I'm hoping that disk warrior may do the trick and that it can't make things worse (fingers crossed). But it come down to 99 bucks v. all the time to reload the pod. It'll be my friends call. Thanks again.

Ric

Reaction score
No problem...

DiskWarrior may well work, you'll have to let us know how you get on...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Just a thought, does the iPod photo require high speed USB 2 to mount and does the Pismo have USB 2 ports? You could try mounting via firewire if the Pismo has firewire and you can get hold of a firewire cable for the ipod perhaps?

Reaction score
Kyomii. I'm still awaiting the latest in the saga but with reference to your post, its been tried on PB G3 and resident Mini. It was syncing fine until a couple of days ago. The G3 checks out OK as does the mini.
It won't mount on either properly (not recognised by iTunes or showing in finder) but has been able to be seen and checked over by Disk Utility, which returned an un fixable, PEOF error. I'm hoping that a third party Disk First aid package may be able to salvage it. Various opinions I've found around and about have put me off suggesting Techtool, but all I've found is praise for Disk Warrior.
I'll get the offending pod over here (Got Macs, pods and leads) and try firewire when I'm able as you suggest and I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Hmm. Turns out to be a dead drive in the pod. Matey took it to Apple Sheffield (UK) and a very kind chappie there swapped it, without quibble for a brand spanking new one, despite it being bought in Japan around a year ago.
Breakdown of what was tried to salvage it...would I fear be irrelevant since the drive was shot...but here goes anyway.
Tried Techtool, Tune Tech, diskwarrior and disk util but since the fault was physical, none could fix it, although Techtool did flagg up most of the drive as bad sectors, so at least it had a clue! (Why don't apple ship a more comprehensive disk rescue util with the OS. I'ts always struck me that Disk utility is a bit 'basic' and often, in my experience, comes up against errors it canny fix.)
I have however discovered Tune Tech, as part of my efforts which is a good all rounder for backing up, care and repair of your iPod. It archives a backup, which can then be restored to the pod. Also allows cloning of pods. so you can just wizz your sounds from one to another.
Thanks for the time you all put in anyway.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

thanks for the summary, very helpfull !

I'm glad he got a new one, nice when it ends like that ;-)

regards

Ric

Reaction score
just a quick note ( maybe for others who read this and think about questions)
but an ipod photo ( and video ) need usb 2.0 ( so they wont work on a pismo )
and the hd format makes no difference what so ever
my mini's hd is formatted as windows and it works fine on my pc laptop franken mac G4 imac G4 and pismo