Which Macbook?

Reaction score
Hi

I've decided to invest in an apple laptop and since my college computer studies are based around M$ access / visual basic ( yuk I know ) I've decided to go for a snappy intel macbook that can boot winblows over a cheap but rather cool G4 Powerbook.

Now I've been looking at the base line macbook 1.8GHz and comparing it to the black 2.0 and can't really see any differences other than slightly faster processor, bigger HD and superdrive. This doesn't bother me as my G5 has a superdrive with a big HD and I'm only interested in if the faster Processor is worth me splashing the extras cash.

Oh and I really really really love the black polycarbonate casing! :biggrin:

Reaction score
You're right about the differences between the 1.8GHz MacBook and the 2GHz black MacBook, but check out the differences between the 2GHz white MacBook and the 2GHz black MacBook... the only real hardware difference is the size of the hard drive (60GB vs 80GB) and yet there's a $200US difference in the price between the two... and if you were to go to Apple's online store and upgrade the 2GHz white MacBook to an 80GB hard drive the price only goes up by $50US, which mean you're paying $150US for the black polycarbonite casing... That said, the black is really cool looking, buy my personal opinion (and my budget) says to not pay extra just cause it looks cooler. My own personal debate would be between the 2GHz white MacBook and the 2GHz MacBook Pro... after adding the extras I'd want to the MacBook I'm at the base price for the MacBook Pro, so why not move up? That's just my opinion though... Also, one person in my office bought a MacBook Pro and she's not had any problems, another person bought a MacBook and it's been in for service twice in 5 months. Just something else to keep in mind...

Reaction score
Hey Danster!

A lot of my friends and my sister have a MacBook. They love it. Yeah, I do agree with you Zeyhra. Something else to consider is that bare in mind that the Video RAM on the MacBook is shared with the system RAMl, whereas the MacBook Pro has independent VRAM and RAM. This can be a big factor for running Windows. Just some more food for thought. I would recommend the 2.0 processor over the 1.83 especially if you are interested in Boot Camp or Parallels.

Searay

SwampWitch

Reaction score
Did you buy it yet?

My white 1.8GHz MacBook is very fast and I've had zero problems, and I think it's just great. I'll probably upgrade the memory sometime, but it's not necessary yet.

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

Reaction score
I've mail ordered it and it should arrive in time for christmas. (Long wait I know)

I've opted for the standard 'cheapest' 1.8 as I really can't justify paying £££ for slightly faster clock speed. It was either 2.0 with 758MB of Ram or 1.8 with 2GB which I've chosen. ;)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi D,

that sounds like a nice Christmas present !

The 1.8 with the 2Gb should fly...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question