Which Camera for Mac

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm not much of a photographer but I need to buy a digital camera.

I'm not looking for anything fancy as long as it takes a decent picture.

Problem is I have found that a lot of digital cameras on ly seem to be compatible up to OSX 10.3 & I have OSX 10.4.7.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Jango.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Jango,

up until I splashed out I have always had Fuji cameras and have had no problems.

For the most part, all digital camera's will work.

Have you any cameras in mind ?

There are a few here that definately work...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks Ric,

Very useful link.

I have always heard good things about Canon cameras so I think that's what I'll go for.

Cheers, Jango.

Reaction score
Hi Jango. Are you talking about compatibility of hooking up the camera to the Mac? If so, then you can buy any camera you want, and instead of hooking up the camera to the Mac, you would be much better buying a digital card reader, which are cheap, do not use battery power like the camera, and always work :)

A card reader also gives you the freedom to save other types of files/folders etc to the card and transfer them to another system - you can use them like a mini external hard drive.

Reaction score
Hi thanks Kyomil,

So are you saying that with a card reader I can still upload photos & send them as e-mail attachments without needing to use the cameras own software and that any camera will do?

Cheers, Jango.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Jango,

most cameras come with some image editing software/photo stitching software...

Most of them aren't great and you may not use them, depending on what software you already have...

The majority of cameras don't require any additional drivers etc, that are not already pre-installed in OS X.

If you have got iPhoto then just plug in a camera or card reader and that will import the pics (and videos) it will organise them, and from there you can mail them...it's well worth the money if you haven't got it.

When you plug either a card reader (with a card in it) or a camera into the Mac, the Mac sees it as an external drive which you (or software) can then access to get the photos...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi thanks Kyomil,

So are you saying that with a card reader I can still upload photos & send them as e-mail attachments without needing to use the cameras own software and that any camera will do?

Cheers, Jango.

Hi Jango, yes, that is correct. Just make sure you buy the card reader that is compatible with your camer card. I would opt for the universal all-in-one readers that generally read all types of camera/memory cards.

An example of this is HERE, but there are many card readers on the market.

It is a much simpler method than hooking your camerea up to the system, and it saves your camera's battery, and also the possibility of damage if you accidentally knock your camera off your desk while it is attached to your system. (Yes, I have done that :eek: )

As Ric says, plugging either in your Mac, it will show up as an external drive on your desktop, and you can cut/copy/paste from there to your destination folder. :)

Reaction score
Hi & thanks,

A card reader it is then along with a Canon powershot A540.

Cheers for the info,

Jango.

Ask a Question