What pathway?

Reaction score
Hi

For some time I've been considering learning the ways to make applications (programming) but I don't really know where to start or what language to choose.

I've been considering Objective C because I hear that's what apple developers use, but heard it can be quite tricky and I'm no brain child. :p

I know someone who was learning 'Ob C' but switched to Java because he said it made his life alot easier so I'm thinking about starting with that but want some advise first.

I'd basically like to learn a way in how to make applications and also like to understand how computers OSes work.

Any advise appreciated. :D

Ric

Reaction score
Do you want to learn as a hobby, or for a career/work ?

If you want to learn how to program as a career, then I would check out the vacancies pages and see what pays well, what type of programmers are in demand etc.

If you want to write programs for fun/freeware/for sale/etc, I would checkout Apple Developers pages. You can join up for free and become a 'free member'.

There is masses of information on there to get you going. Also on your Panther Cd's are the Apple Developer Tools. Copy this folder to your hard drive and start working your way through the documentation, best if you can get the 'Tiger' update, then you will be working on the latest Developers Tools. Once you have become a member, you can download the latest version of Xcode !

Ric

Reaction score
Developer Reference

Some heavy reading to start with !

Take heed of the warnings ! See pic.

Attachments

• finder001.jpg
    finder001.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 373

Ric

Reaction score
Not sure how far you got with Applescript, but I would certainly carry on with it. Go over to http://www.vtc.com/. Applescript and Applescript Studio are a very friendly way to get started.

Have a look through their tutorials, there are normally quite a few free chapters that will give you a taster...

Attachments

• finder004.jpg
    finder004.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 408
Reaction score
Thanks for your swift reply Ric.

I will look into what you have said and at the moment I'm thinking of it as just a hobby but who knows :p

I stopped bothering with AS because I couldn't think of anything to use it for, but now I remember there was something called A.S.Studio :p so I'll look into that and dig out me old book.

Ric

Reaction score
Other software to try, database software such as 4D and Filemaker Developer can be used to 'write' standalone software. It depends on what you want to write.

REALbasic is very nice worth a try first, Filemaker is relatively easy and 4D takes a bit of getting used to but can be very powerful.

Give us some examples of what you would like to try and write, and I'll 'try' and point you in the right direction !

All the above have downloadable demos !!!

Ric

Reaction score
Putting you a little tutorial together, Applescript Studio. Will have to do it in bits, as Wifey is now back home and I am doing my Florence Nightingale impression !

Reaction score
Cheers Ric.

I've thought about it alot and have decided to take up learning Applescript & AS Studio. It looks much easier to learn than a standard programming lang such as java or C and it does what I'm interested in doing such as create mini apps and scripts. :)

Look forward to your tutorial and G'luck with the impression :D

Ric

Reaction score
Tutorial has it's own thread "Applescript Studio", let me know if anything is not clear !