Hello everyone...

So here is my issue.. I own a
ibook G4 (stats- Machine Model: iBook G4
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB)

recently for no apparent reason my dvd/cd port stopped working...

I've tried a bunch of different cd's and dvd's and it will make some working noises, and then just spit it back out.

What can be wrong with it? And can it be a easy fix? ... How can I check it?, and can dvd drives be replaced on laptops??

Please help, part of my business is grabbing my photos from my old dvd's when they are requested. :(

Thanks

Lany

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Try using Disk Utility to Repair Disk Permissions and restarting...has been known to correct this issue.

C

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your response ... But I forgot, I have updated my imac.... I now have tiger 10.4.5 I tried to download that repair... but it says it for an order version max system.... Are there any other options? :rolleyes:

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Not sure I follow what you mean...

Have you tried going into Applications > Utilities folder and using Disk Utility. Then, select your startup drive and click repair disk permissions and then restart.

C

Reaction score
The problem is not in my computer or my hard disk ... the disk problem I have is my disk drive I put my cd's in ... I already ran that thing you were talking about... It didn't help anything... My computer still spits out any cd's or dvd's I put into it.

Lany :rolleyes:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Lany,

Is the iBook you have the one with 'slot loading' or 'tray loading' ?

If you have a tray loader one you may be able to run/use a cd/dvd lens cleaner ?

...it sounds like your 'laser' has possibly gone ?

If it has you can buy new drives for your iBook, they are a little tricky to install but doable...

...depending on how happy you are opening up the iBook you may be best getting an Apple Engineer or the like to do it for you.

I have opened up a few iBook's and they can be a little awkward ;-)

regards

Ric

Ask a Question