Web Design

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just recently took over the responsibilities of creating/updating/maintaining (with some assitance from another person) my car clubs website. Leave it to me to be the oddball of the group and use a mac and I would really prefer to be able to design the new site on my computer VS having to use windows on one of my other computers and not being able to work on it anywhere and anytime. So with all of this said I know very little about programs for web design when it comes to Mac. I know they are great for this purpose, thus being the reason I want to use it. So I was hoping people might have a good suggestion of a program that I can use for web design, pretty basic for the most part but with the ability to get more in depth as we grow as a group. Price is a concern although not a large one, just not looking to spend like 300 or 400 dollars. I'm also able to get a good bit of software through my college bookstore at a discount because of the deal my school has with apple. But thanks for any help anyone can give in advance.

Andy

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

the industry standards, I suppose are Dreamweaver and GoLive...these are out of your budget (I think at the minute) both are available for download on either the Macromedia or Adobe web sites, both are unlimited 30 day trials.

Freeway, looks very good and there are two versions, again there is a demo available once you fill in a form. I haven't used Freeway myself, downloading demo now. ($90-250)

The 'type' of editor you will want depends on the type of sites you're working on...can we have a look at the site ?

A lot of the websites I work on I do in a text editor program such as BBEdit.

There's nothing stopping you using TextEdit...but you would need to know html etc...

I would probably have a look at the Freeway programs first, and see how you get on.

PageSpinner is another though I haven't tried it.

I'll have another look later...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Ric,

Once again thank you for the quick and very helpful response. As for dreamweaver being out of my budget that is true, but i just found out that the club has its own copy of it for me to use for free YAY! But I can't get a hold of it for a couple of days so I will take a look at the demo of the others and get a feel for what I like the most. But thanks again.

Andy

Ric

Reaction score
I haven't upgraded to the 'new' version of Dreamweaver yet (still using MX2004),

If the clubs copy is for PC, then you can phone Macromedia and ask them to change it from a PC version to a Mac version, you can only do this once. (Its free !)

Just ring them up and explain that you used to have a PC but have now changed to a Mac and need to change the license over...

So if you change from PC to Mac it can not be changed back again...

I've just downloaded the Freeway demo, I'll let you know what I think of it tomorrow.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question