"we are the ones"

Reaction score
Hello all,
I hope someone can clarify this for me;
I just logged on to my MacBook and found that the single default icon on my desktop of the hard drive has been renamed "we are the ones"...What on Earth?!.. I have read numerous discussion on why the Unix based platform is supposed to be virus free, is this a mac virus? Any ideas?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

That's a new one on me !

Before this happened can you remember downloading anything from the Internet and running it ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hello, and thanks Ric,
I had downloaded the FFview image viewer about two weeks ago, conincident with an autoupdate. The viewer seems to come higly recommended, Macworld etc....Any ideas?
Thanks again for the welcome,

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I presume that you have changed it back to what it was originally !

One of the best places to check for 'viri' is the Symantec website.

If there was a Virus that could do this it would be listed...

The chances are that this was just some random accident...ie dragging a bit of type from a web page and it landing on the icon and renaming it...

Does anyone else have access to your Mac ? Is someone just messing with you ?

Macs/UNIX is/are a lot safer to use than PC's running Windows. If you take a poll of users here, I would imagine that 95% + don't run any kind of Antivirus software on there Mac's...I don't !

That doesn't mean that the Mac is totally safe. Just make sure you always keep an up to date backup of all your important files and you should be okay.

Many, many years ago (in the late eighties !!) Mac users thought the same way as we do now...that virus's don't affect Mac users...most of us caught WDEF...and then headed off to buy a copy of Nortons !!!

regards

Ric

Ask a Question