Virtual Mail server in OSX Server 10.3?

Reaction score
I have OSX Server 10.3 running and can't get multiple domains working.

ie I have two domains foo.com and bloggs.co but any mail going to (e-mail address removed) is accesible by (e-mail address removed).

How do I make these seperate users?

I can't find out how to do it in the GUI, is there another way?

Ric

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly you have more than one domain and you would like (e-mail address removed) to be a seperate user from (e-mail address removed).

If this is so, I don't know of anyway to do it in the GUI you have to do it by modifying the postfix config files.

This is easier than it may seem.

First delete all but the main domain that you have placed in the GUI mail server domains. So if your server is called foo.com delete out bloggs.com in the mail gui.

This will be replaced with a virtual domain.

You then need to open up the teminal app or use ssh to log into your server.

The files you need to modify are within the postfix directory which should be at /etc/postfix/

type in the terminal app as below:

cd /
cd /etc/postfix/

"this takes you to the postfix directory"

then type

ls

this gives you a listing of whats in the folder: there should be a file called 'virtual'.

now type:

sudo pico virtual

this launches a text editor called pico, you will be asked for a password, this will be your password if you are the administrator or it will require the root password.

The file will now open, read the file scroll down with the cursor keys.

at the end of the file enter in the email addresses and the user who should receive them.

ie

(e-mail address removed) user1_foo

(e-mail address removed) user1_blogg

(e-mail address removed) user2_foo

enter the email address as above using your own data then enter a couple of spaces then the short user name of the owner of the email...

once you have done this pres ctrl and o and then return

This saves the file.

Then press ctrl and x

This quits out of pico.

You now need to edit the main postfix config file.

Type

sudo pico main.cf

this will again ask for the admin/root password.

This is a large file, scroll all the way to the bottom of the file.

Then type in:

virtual_alias_domains = bloggs.com otherdomain.org
virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual

the blogg.com otherdomain.org woulb be your domain names, you can enter as many as you have just seperate them with spaces as per the example above.

then key:

ctrl and x

to save the file

and ctrl and o ( o not zero!)

now you need to let postfix know that it is to use virtual domains!

type:

sudo postmap /etc/postfix/virtual

again then enter your password.

now the last step.

type:

sudo postfix reload

this restarts the postfix system.

Now send some emails out to (e-mail address removed) and to (e-mail address removed) and they should now be accessed by different users as you have set up in the virtual file.

hope that helps, if you want to learn more about the Mac's email server "Postfix", I would suggest this book Postfix the definitive guide

Ric

Reaction score
I have a similar issue but I need to forward email for (e-mail address removed) to (e-mail address removed) whereas (e-mail address removed) is for user1 here. Been trying to get this working all day now. AHGA. :confused:

Ric

Reaction score
I hope you were able to fix this !

Sorry there was no reply from me, I have been away from this website but I am now monitoring it regularly incase any one needs any help.

If you need the solution let me know and I will post it here.

Ric

Ask a Question