Very odd freezes on Powerbook G4

Reaction score
Okay, so I use a Powerbook G4 (12") that operates OS X and I've been experiencing a very odd type of freeze. Basically, what happens is the mouse simply stops moving, and it will eventually disappear. The rest of the screen hasn't changed - for example, one time a video was playing, and it continued to play even as the mouse stopped moving. If I hit the power button, I can hit enter to shut down.

It got to the point where I couldn't move the mouse at all when I booted the laptop, so I simply stopped using the machine for a couple months. Booted it up again three days ago, and it worked great until this morning, when the mouse stopped working once.

So I want to get to the bottom of this before it deteriorates again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Okay, so I use a Powerbook G4 (12") that operates OS X and I've been experiencing a very odd type of freeze. Basically, what happens is the mouse simply stops moving, and it will eventually disappear. The rest of the screen hasn't changed - for example, one time a video was playing, and it continued to play even as the mouse stopped moving. If I hit the power button, I can hit enter to shut down.

It got to the point where I couldn't move the mouse at all when I booted the laptop, so I simply stopped using the machine for a couple months. Booted it up again three days ago, and it worked great until this morning, when the mouse stopped working once.

So I want to get to the bottom of this before it deteriorates again.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
You're not by any chance running Leopard, are you?

Reaction score
Negative. Why?
It seems that a lot of people using Leopard are having this problem.
I would try using another mouse that you're certain works. If this mouse doesn't freeze you'll know that the problem was due to a defective mouse if it does freeze you'll know it's system related.

Ask a Question