upgrading without a DVD drive

Reaction score
Power Mac G4 Quicksilver 2002
800 MHz, 512MB RAM
OS X 10.1.5

My OS X version is very old and I'd like to upgrade to OS 10.4.6, but my system only has a CD drive. At one time, Apple used to transfer installation software from DVD to CD, but they no longer do this. Is it still possible to find later versions of OS X formatted to CD? Any suggestions where to look?

If I were to install a new internal DVD drive, while still running my old OS X 10.1.5, would the drive function at all? Would it allow me to insert a DVD disc and install the newer OS software - or would I need special drivers or patching software (provided they even exist)?

Reaction score
Hi Elizabeth
I think there can be found OS 10.4 on cd but I think these are illegally chopped down dvd versions. If you are in UK you can get a dvd combo drive for under £20 from here http://www.macwarehouse.co.uk/catalogue/item/SONCDR90
I have nothing to do with this shop but this is the only one that I found that states it is Mac compatible. Depending on your skills they are quite easy to fit. and all drivers will come with the drive.

Reaction score
Hello Teapot -

I have checked eBay for the OS X 10.4 software on CD's, but most offerings consist of only two discs- which, as you caution, may not contain everything on the DVD install set. I'll keep hunting.

I have purchased an Apple/Pioneer internal DVD drive from Other Word Computing for $30. (I'm not in the UK) The spec sheet for the drive says that I need to be running at least OS X 10.3.5 to avoid having to use extra drivers or patches.

Perhaps their customer service can help me find out if drivers or patches exist that would allow me to install the drive while running my current old OS X version. Then I could use the drive to install OS X 10.4 from DVDs.

Many thanks for answering,

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Hi Elizabeth
I think you may find that all the drivers you require to do the installation of OS 10.4. Once installed the OS should carry any extras, or as you say, have a word with customer support. If you let me know exactly which model of drive you have I amy be able to do some further searching

Reaction score
Hi Teapot,

I've located OS X10.4 on CD-ROM discs (advertised as new, with manual and warranty) from a seller on Amazon.com. It cost $139., which is equal to Apple's retail price for the software DVDs, plus the $10. they once charged for conversion to CD. If there are any problems, I'll post here. If there are not, this may be a good resource for those (apparently few) who wish to upgrade without a DVD drive.

Elizabeth

Reaction score
Hi Elizabeth, I was going to suggest another way to do it would to be to purchase an external DVD RW drive, they are very cheap now, you would have the benefit of a writer, and also you can port it to another system in the future. :)

Reaction score
Hi Kyomii,

Thanks for your very practical suggestion - I know I'm locking myself into my five-year-old G4 with the internal drive, but I've been content to linger in the obsolete (but trouble-free) OS X 1.5 until now. I'm late in venturing forward to Tiger, which should soon (?) be superseded by Leopard (and/or the inevitable advance of Intel-based systems). Perhaps I can wring another couple of years out of my present system before having to start anew.

Elizabeth

Ask a Question