Upgrading OS9 to OSX

Reaction score
I just bought MAC OSX 10.4 Tiger, I am currently running 9.2.2, I still want to be able to start in classic as I have photoshop and etc in classic. How do I install 10.4 without erasing classic? Is it possible?

Thanks for the help

I should add the machine is a IMac graphite G3

karazelle

Reaction score
You NEED to check your firmware.
Go here: http://www.apple.com/support/imac/g3/ and look at the bottom of the page. There's also an article on how to update it.

Then, if you have the required hardware to fulfill the system requirements you just need to insert your Tiger CD and install. Remember to upgrade, not erase.

If you have two partitions you can set up a dual boot configuration, and OS X will let you run Os 9 applications as well using its classic enviroment. If classic didn't already detect your OS 9 folder, you can point it towards it in System Preferences.

But remember to backup your files anyway.

Reaction score
How do I know if I have 2 partitions so I can setup a dual boot configuration so that I can run OSX and OS9?

If classic didn't already detect your OS 9 folder, you can point it towards it in System Preferences.
What do you mean by this?

Thanks for the help

karazelle

Reaction score
How do I know if I have 2 partitions so I can setup a dual boot configuration so that I can run OSX and OS9?

There's a disk utility on your Mac, I don't remember the name in OS 9 but its there too that will show you for sure, but basically, if you have that you have "disk icons" on your desktop.

It seems you can dual boot if you install MacOS X on the same disk/volume as OS 9 anyway.

If classic didn't already detect your OS 9 folder, you can point it towards it in System Preferences.
What do you mean by this?

Thanks for the help
After you have installed OS X, "Control panel" changes name to "System Preferences" which is also on the Apple menu. Inside System preferences is an icon named "Classic", which you use if you want to run OS 9 programs inside OS X. It asks for a MacOS 9 system folder, and you can tell it to use your existing one.

Reaction score
Seems fairly straight forward, Hope it works for me......Thanks for your help!!!

Ric

Reaction score
Just to confirm...

First you need to do the Firmware update if needed.

Then use Nortons or whatever Utility software you have to check that you're OS 9 disk is okay.

Then do a complete backup of any importatnt data, just in case.

Then, as stated before do a 'Upgrade' and not a 'Erase and Install'.

You can dual boot on a single partion.

Once you have Tiger installed you can boot into either OS by changing the Startup Disk...in OS 9 it would be in Control Panels in OS X it is in System Prefences Pane -->Startup Disk.

Once you have loaded OS X never use Norton's again it will corrupt the data, OS X doesn't like it.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question