upgrade 9.2 to Panther osx on Mac G3

Reaction score
I'm having problems installing panther on my Mac G3. The CD requests I shut down then just keeps running or freezes or a note comes up telling me to restart. This happens no matter how many times I repeat the process. Any ideas or suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi there
Have you tried putting the cd in the tray then starting the computer holding down the c key?

Reaction score
Re: upgrade 9.2.2 to Panther OS X 10.3.5 on Mac G3

I want to install Mac OS X 10.3.5 panther on my Mac G3 which is currently running Mac OS 9.2.2.
The install CD requests I shut down then just keeps running or freezes or a note comes up telling me to restart. This happens no matter how many times I repeat the process.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Reaction score
I tried holding down c and it came up with the message I'd seen before stating that I needed to restart the computer holding down the power button except now it had lots of random printing over it. Upper most message being - panic (cpu0): unable to find driver for this platfomr: Power Mac 1,1"

Reaction score
hi
if you double click the installer icon on your Panther disk the message you must now restart you computer is correct. This means the computer will restart using the install disks' system. this can take a while depending on cpu speed and amount of ram. One other thing what size is your hard drive?

Reaction score
Held down c again and this time received the message System failure: cpu=0; code=00000001 (corrupt stack). Can you help me please.
Thanks,
Marg

Reaction score

My Mac G3 has 448MB Built in Memory and Virtual Memory 449MB. Processor G3 Power PC 350MHz. Do you have to switch off virtual memory?
This will seem a really dumb question, but where do you find hard drive size?
Found it - 6GB

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What does the label on the Panther disc look like? Is the label black with a large white X on it?

If you are trying to upgrade your G3 with a model specific disc rather than a Full Retail version of Panther, then you would have major difficulties .... The model specific Panther Install Disc is only designed to work with the very model that it was released with and the OS version that originally came with your G3 (if I have the right model) was Mac OS 8.5.1.

So basically this means that your mac was released prior to the release of Panther and so you need to source a Retail version of the Panther OS. I did exactly what you are trying to do quite recently and found a Retail Panther (full version NOT an upgrade version which requires you already have OS X installed) on eBay for a decent price.

Is this your G3?

20080218-aaamj9y8uudwca7xw6qmhmaty.jpg

This is extremely important and I need to verify that you have downloaded and installed the appropriate Firmware Version for your G3 before proceeding with the upgrade to Panther.

See this link.

Reaction score
Re: upgrade 9.2 to Panther osx on Mac G3
Yes Spawn-Dooley that's my computer and my version is a full retail version. The store I purchased it from supplied up-grades to take my Mac G3 up to 9.2.2 so I could install osx 10.3
Thanks for your suggestions but still no luck.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
What about the Firmware Update I talked about in my previous post? Could you please go back and read it?

Reaction score
Re: upgrade 9.2 to Panther osx on Mac G3

Hi,

Took me a while but I've managed to connect my G3 to the net and download the firmware, only problem now is apparently I don't have a stuffit engine? It's in my list of applications but it doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I think the Stuffit Engine is an Extension ... just hang on a tic Margm and I'll go and get my iBook G3 and search for the Stuffit Engine to see if I'm correct ...

>EDIT<

Press Command + F and Sherlock should launch. Type Stuffit Engine in the text field and click on the magnifying glass icon to search for it.

I located my Stuffit Engine at:

Hard Drive ~> System Folder ~> Extensions (Disabled) ~> Stuffit Engine

I don't use this Mac on the internet much so I can't really recall why I disabled this engine, but in your case it should turn up in the search ... if it does, then click on it in the window and if you look below to the next window you should see the path to it is revealed. Post back the results.

Reaction score
Thanks. Found stuffit and downloaded firmware but my G3 told me it was already updated.
I don't know where to go from here. Still the same problem when I try to install the os x version 10.3 upgrade (which is a full version) a black square appears in the centre telling me to restart and that repeats each time it restarts.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Just to make sure of something Margm, your 10.3 disc has a black label with a large white X on it?

You can only upgrade the firmware once and that's why you received that dialogue box, that's perfectly fine.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Tell me what happens when you put the Panther disc in the drive and reboot holding the Option key down when you hear the tone ... you should see two boot options ... from the internal HD or the Disc Drive or the Panther Disc in that drive .... click on the Panther disc and see how you go ...

Reaction score
G3 just opened as normal ignoring command. Installation disc is sitting on desk top. Do I need to turn anything off to install it? If I ever manage to install os x do I delete 9.2.2?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Do you think you need to keep OS9 installed? It would need to have it's own partition I think, which would mean a different type of upgrade ... but that aside, do you know how much RAM is installed? You need 128MB RAM and about 3GB of free Hard Drive space.

Ask a Question