Uninstalling Unused Languages

Reaction score
Is it possible to uninstall the unused languages without having to reinstall OS X? I only use English and Japanese, so the other ones are superfluous to me.

Reaction score
Is it possible to uninstall the unused languages without having to reinstall OS X? I only use English and Japanese, so the other ones are superfluous to me.

Yes it is. Here's a link that shows you how to do it. Somewhere in the middle it mentions and supplies you with a link to an app called "Monolingual" that can remove languages as well and it's free.
http://www.thinkmac.net/blog/archives/mac-tips-daily-41-remove-languages-and-free-up-disk-space.html

Reaction score
I would caution using Monolingual. I did use it once and got rid of all the languages I didn't use. Then when a new security update came up, I had problems with it. For example, no matter how many times I tried to update iChat, it just wouldn't update it. The problem was some component the security update was looking for and couldn't find because I had removed it. Though it's a lot of hassle, I'd either live with the foreign languages or re-install the system and then do a custom install only with the languages you use. That is what I did now with Leopard.

Reaction score
I would caution using Monolingual. I did use it once and got rid of all the languages I didn't use. Then when a new security update came up, I had problems with it. For example, no matter how many times I tried to update iChat, it just wouldn't update it. The problem was some component the security update was looking for and couldn't find because I had removed it. Though it's a lot of hassle, I'd either live with the foreign languages or re-install the system and then do a custom install only with the languages you use. That is what I did now with Leopard.

Yep, I believe that some of the Adobe apps need those language files in order to function properly as well.

Ask a Question