transfer files from pc to macbook--Is there a straightforward way?

Reaction score
Now that I am embracing my blue screen (!), I have moved on to the question of transferring my files. Does one transfer only the files and reinstall the hardware? Or transfer the whole works? And, how, to do that.

Reaction score
Now that I am embracing my blue screen (!), I have moved on to the question of transferring my files. Does one transfer only the files and reinstall the hardware? Or transfer the whole works? And, how, to do that.

The easiest way to transfer files from one computer to another is to burn a copy of the files that you want to transfer to a disc, insert the disc in the drive of the computer that you want to transfer the files to, in this case it would be your Mac, then double click on the disc's icon on your desktop and drag your files out of the disc's window and place them where you want. I'm afraid that you lost me on the reinstall the hardware bit. :)

Reaction score
Doink. I didn't mean hardware, I meant software programs, i.e. msoft office which, sadlly, I won't be able to abandon completely.

What you describe sounds breathtakingly easy. And I'll say one more thing: it appears that mac owners have more fun on help forums!

Reaction score
Doink. I didn't mean hardware, I meant software programs, i.e. msoft office which, sadlly, I won't be able to abandon completely.

What you describe sounds breathtakingly easy. And I'll say one more thing: it appears that mac owners have more fun on help forums!

Are you able to run Windoze programs on your Mac? You need special software in order to do so. I believe on the new Intel Macs you have to use Parallels and, or BootCamp and on the PowerMac's I think that you'll need Virtual PC. Don't quote me though. As far as Microsoft Office is concerned, they have a version for Mac. PC's and Macs are two entirely different animals! :)

Reaction score
Yes, I need to figure out how to transfer my pc stuff to the new intel mac. Since it runs windows, I wondered if I could simply put the windows programs and files on. I've only used the mac side so far. I did successfully move some jpg files. I suppose pdf files can be moved with the same ease. But the rest of it...Anyway, thought I'd start with a question here. I'll look into par. and boot camp. Thanks!

Reaction score
Yes, I need to figure out how to transfer my pc stuff to the new intel mac. Since it runs windows, I wondered if I could simply put the windows programs and files on. I've only used the mac side so far. I did successfully move some jpg files. I suppose pdf files can be moved with the same ease. But the rest of it...Anyway, thought I'd start with a question here. I'll look into par. and boot camp. Thanks!

Which Operating System are you running on your Intel Mac. If you're running Leopard, I believe that you already have BootCamp.

Reaction score
hi, if you are using leopard bootcamp is part of its package...you will still need to load a copy of win xp though... as to quick and easy file transfers there is a program called move2mac it includes file transfer software and a cable firewire to firewire as well...useful if you are transfering a large # of files...also try using a portable usb hard drive download / copy your files to the drive then plug it into the mac and wahlah you have your pc files for sharing to both of your machines...hope this helps...sleepy in florida

Ask a Question