Thomson DHD4000 PVR

Ric

Reaction score
Has anyone else out there got a Thomson DHD4000 PVR, I have bought two recently, as presents for family members.

Just wondered if anyone else had comments regarding this or other PVR's.

Reaction score
What is it?

Just looked one up on google and seen Freeview headlines, is it one of those boxes where you get like 40 channels free?

(well not technically free)

If so I might get one but don't know the differences between the £50 models and the £200 ones, which you get the same amount of channels on either ones so what's the difference ?????

Ric

Reaction score
This particular model is a Freeview Decoder and a Personal Video Recorder (PVR). To our American cousins, a 'Tivo'.

In the UK all the analogue telly signals are being phased out and everyone who wants to watch TV will either have to get a decoder or a new TV with a digital decoder in it, if they want to watch TV.

Freeview gives you around 30-50 channels compared to the old 5 chanels on analogue.

I am fortunate to have Sky myself, (Still have my original Tivo as well) like the sport, films etc. I have the Sky+ bit so I can pause live TV etc. Record programmes with no tapes, straight onto the Hard Drive built into the box.

I like the idea of Freeview, because as you said it's free (except for the cost of the box). The difference between the £50 and the £200 ones are that some just decode the signal so that you can view the pictures whilst the more expensive ones have PVR's built in, as it were.

If you watch a bit of telly then they are very good. I have a young son who I like to play with in the evenings, so the TV is generally off until he goes to bed, everything that my Wife and I watch is always recorded - PVR's make this so much easier.

Reaction score
Yeah I remember I was gonna buy one then decided to get sky then never bothered. :cool:
To be honest I don't watch all that much TV only things like The Simpsons and Top Gear
but when I can afford it more I'll get sky.

(used to have cable is that still goin?) :)

Ric

Reaction score
Cable's still going, though I've never really investigated their packages properly, I had Sky when it first came out and have stuck with it ever since, (I must like being ripped off!), no, it's not bad really !

I just don't like having to pay a TV License, when I also pay for Sky...