This is my flickr page...

Ric

Reaction score
Seeing as I have a new camera...I have signed up to flickr.com...if you have a flickr account and you would to share your piccies let us know your 'name'.

Mine's here, mac-help.com

218719066_cedec4c9e2_o.jpg

Above my Keyboard on my PowerBook ! White balance altered in Photoshop Raw import, to tungsten !

218732704_79f4945794_o.jpg

Above my Command Key on my PowerBook ! Straight shot no Photoshop !

Testing camera...

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Those are some pretty cool pictures on the flickr page... great detail, love the sky shot!
zeyhra

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks...

I am very much the amature !

Still learning what an fstop is ?

We've had nothing but gray skies since I got it so I shall have a play with the Macro lens...

I had some nicer shots of the keyboard...but it showed all the dirt under it ;-(

Looks kinda scary magnified !

I shall have to hoover the keyboard !

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Still learning what an fstop is ?
Simply put, it's called aperture (sound familiar for some reason?). It's the size of the lens opening. The larger the number, the smaller the opening, the less light that is let into the lens and the more of the image that will be in focus. It's used in conjunction with shutter speed to get a proper exposure.

A great place to get a good explanation of photography basics are John Shaw's line of books.

Nice shots by the way...not bad for a self-proclaimed amateur. ;)

C

Ric

Reaction score
...by amateur, I mean this is my first DSLR !

I have always had Fuji compacts...point shoot !

I had an old Canon EOS years ago, but never got past the little 'green rectangle' (full auto!)

The camera is currently making me look better than I am !

I have been 'around' photographers a lot though ;-)

It seems to be a fantastic camera and the 60mm Macro lens is currently my favourite !

Reading lots of books at the minute, but I shall find some of Mr Shaw's books !

Sort of worked out the ISO settings to day...we were in a Museum (childrens) and I got some great pictures throughout the day with no flash, but using a high (or is that low) ISO rating...1800.

They are a little noisy (for large prints) but are fine for on screen viewing, no noise is visible.

Still waiting for the sun to come out !

regards

Ric

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Go

Ahhh...DSLR newbie then. ;)

Ooops...I meant John Hedgecoe for the books. John Shaw has some very nice ones as well, but more geared toward landscape shooting. Hedgecoe's are mini photography courses.

Any ISO higher than 800 on the newest DSLRs starts to get a little noisy. You can do some creative levels adjustments to correct a lot of it though.

Best advice...take it out of full auto mode and use the meter readouts in the viewfinder to learn the ins and outs of manual exposure. The standard exposure settings for front-lit subjects in full sunlight are: f/16 at the nearest reciprocal of the ISO setting. Example:

ISO 100
f/16 at 1/125

That's a basic starting point. When you change the f-stop, the meters will guide you as to the proper way to change the shutter speed. Examples:

ISO 100
f/22 at 1/60
f/16 at 1/125
f/11 at 1/250
f/8 at 1/500

I usually try not to shoot above an ISO of 400...ISO 800 is OK if I can get away with shooting without a monopod/tripod. If not, and the shutter speed gets below the ISO, it's flash all the way.

Just a few quick tips for all.

C

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks, for all the comments...constructive critism required...I can take it ;-)

Up until a week ago I didn't know what an L type lens was... ;-)

No I haven't got any L's (looked at one today though, pricey !)

The Macro shots have been took with the Canon 60MM USM F2.8 lens...you have to get real close to your subject !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
A hairy caterpillar, I haven’t seen one of those for years.

I haven’t done any photography for a long time. What
is an L lens?

The shots are great, particularly the water droplet.

P

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

thanks for the comments !

I was sat waiting for Bee's and he just popped his head up !

I'm not sure of the full technicality's of "L" lenses...when ever you see "Paparazzi" they tend to have those big 'white' bodied lenses...they are all "L" ones...

From what I have learnt so far, I think the optics inside are 'better' have gone under more scrutiny...have more elements (Glass?) etc, which inturn (presumably) means that you should get better piccies.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question