The Terror of Filevault

Jin

Reaction score
Like many other mac users I made the mistake of encrypting a usb drive with Filevault 2. I made a password and even filled out the hint. Now I have forgotten the password and when I am prompted to unlock the drive there is no password hint button. My two questions are this,
  • I have mac os x sierra, is there a way to find out what the hint was that I put in?
  • Or would it be possible to convert the data on the thumb drive into a dmg that I could then crack? ( YES normally this would be impossible to crack but I know 6 of the 8 letters in my password so YES it is possible)

Thanks

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Sorry to hear of your issue. There isn't any way to get around FileVault, which is exactly what is was designed for, so no, you can't convert the data to a DMG and then crack it.

Honestly, if you cannot remember the password, or FileVault becomes corrupted, you are out of luck. That is the main reason I never recommend enabling FileVault.

C

Jin

Reaction score
Well after searching the internet I found a way to decrypt my drive and was able to recover my data. My question now is would it be against the forum rules to post how I was able to crack the drive ? And no I did not use the hack that grabs the password from RAM XD

Ask a Question