.swf files won't play on my imac

Reaction score
Mac OS X
Version 10.4.10
2 GHz Intel core 2 Duo

i just have a new imac, and i believe i have the latest version of adobe flash player since i could see flash animations on the internet.

however, my own .swf files won't play. so i tried to download the adobe flash player 9, and it said installation was successful but nothing happens, my .swf files still wouldn't play.

i would appreciate your tips to solve this problem. thank you in advance.

Reaction score
hello spawn,

my .swf files are on my pc, so i emailed these files to myself and opened my email on my imac. my .swf files work well on my pc but not on my imac. thanks for your response.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Just as I suspected ... only prob is I'm off to have my tea at the minute so you'll need to be patient ..... ;)

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Try Control/Right-Clicking on the file and select Open With .... choose Flash Player from the list .... have you tried launching Flash Player and importing the files in? Or just trying to open a file from within Flash Player?

Reaction score
what i did was open my email on my imac and download the attachment. then i got a message window saying the file may contain an application and there's a download button, so i chose it. then i got an error message saying "the movie could not be opened, invalid media data was found in the movie (showing icon of quicktime)".

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
what i did was open my email on my imac and download the attachment. then i got a message window saying the file may contain an application and there's a download button, so i chose it. then i got an error message saying "the movie could not be opened, invalid media data was found in the movie (showing icon of quicktime)".

Ok, do you know if the file was downloaded anyway? Can you locate it? Do you know for certain that the extension of the file was .swf and not .exe?

If you can locate the download (try using Spotlight) then follow the instructions in my last post.

Reaction score
when you said "Try Control/Right-Clicking on the file and select Open With .... choose Flash Player from the list ...." this is for pc instruction, right? since there's no right click on mac, i suppose. as for my pc, no problem opening the file.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
when you said "Try Control/Right-Clicking on the file and select Open With .... choose Flash Player from the list ...." this is for pc instruction, right? since there's no right click on mac, i suppose. as for my pc, no problem opening the file.

No, I meant on your Mac.

To right click on your mac (depending on the model) just press Control and then Click the file to show the contextual menu.

If you have a mighty mouse, you can configure the right click in:

Sys Prefs -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Mouse

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 375
Reaction score
thank you spawn. i see now what you mean. i click on the file in the download window and then in the finder, i chose file--->open with--> i chose flash player icon. it did play.

thank you very much for your help spawn_dooley. i really appreciate it :D

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Wow! That's fantastic spaghetti!! Glad to help out!

BTW, do you have a Mighty Mouse? With the lil' grey button in the front center?

Reaction score
yes, i believe so. my mouse has the l'l grey button in the front center. i didn't even know this is called mighty mouse :)

Reaction score
Hello Spaghetti, If you use that control & click trick that Spawn showed you on your Flash files but instead of choosing "open with" choose "Get Info" an information window pertaining to that particular file will pop up. If you can't see all of the information in the window, click the little triangles. In that window, go down to where it says "Open with" and you'll notice a little box with little arrows on its side. Click the little arrows and choose Flash Player (If it's not already selected.) then from now on instead of having to control click, etc. that's all you have to do is double click on the file and Flash Player will open it.

Reaction score
walrus, i tried it and it works. now i could see my file with a flash player icon. all i have to do now is to try again updating my flash player version which i'm not successful yet.

thanks again for the tips :)

Reaction score
walrus, i tried it and it works. now i could see my file with a flash player icon. all i have to do now is to try again updating my flash player version which i'm not successful yet.

thanks again for the tips :)
Absolutely my pleasure! Give yourself a pat on the back as well! Many people post questions but don't respond to the help that's offered. Not only do you respond, you act upon the suggestions as well. You're on the way to becoming a Mac guru!;)

Ask a Question