super slow, sometimes non-existant, internet speed

Reaction score
For some strange reason I'm having a superhard time loading internet pages, and it's gotten to the point where I am officially pissed off at it--I'm not sure what bugs me more: when internet pages don't load or take forever to load, stubbing my toe.

Currently I'm living on my college dorm over the summer with a hallway full of others. The guy in the room next to me, and the guy across the hall about 5 feet away from him, both have wireless networks set up. Up until about a month ago my connection was fine but started to really slow down for no apparent reason. At first it might have been because we had too many guys using one wireless network, but then the guy next door got his own wireless set up to free up bandwidth.

But my connection is still being retarded. It's not like I have a bad connection since both wireless sources are no further than 12 feet from me, and my connection bar is full to the top. Everyone else's web pages are loading just fine. I haven't had any virus warnings or suspicious computer activity or anything. I haven't horsed around whatsoever with the network preferences at all. The webpages just take forever to load 2/3 of the time, or not at all and I have to keep hitting the reload button on my browser until the webpage loads properly.

Any ideas? I'm working with a MacBook, OSX10.6.4, using Safari browser, which I also haven't horsed around with.

Ask a Question