Starting from OS9 Start up disc

Reaction score
One of my macs is a G4 and is upgraded to Tiger. I downloaded the game "fairies" from the mac site as a dashboard game and after playing for 30 minutes, it froze. Upon restart it went into the spinning wheel of wait/death. After several attempts to restart, I tryed to restart from my Tiger disc and the machine spit it out so I have restarted from the original OS 9 disc but its been so long since I've had to do that, I forget what to do from this point.....urg.....help!? thanx.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

lots of things to try in OS X first before reverting to OS 9...

I would reboot holding down command and s this will reboot the Mac into Single User Mode from there you can run FSCK

then try and boot again.

When you boot into single user mode it will give you the exact text to type...

normally just fsck -y

will do the trick, then once it's done type reboot and see if that helps.

if not we'll try something else.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Rick,

First I have to tell you I am code challenged..but here's what I did.

I started like you said and typed in the text it gave me which led to a series of references such as:

Removing/mac.sym/var/tmp/folders*/etc/nologin/private/
_temp_/var/_run_/private/var/um/swapfile0\mach.sym

Also 5 similar references to:

dyld/ Library not loaded Reason: no suitable image found. Did find /usr/lib/libobjc.A.dylib: file to short

next I typed in the fsck combo it gave me: sbin/fsck- fy
and it runs a check on things with the last line reading: The volume harddrive appears to be O.K.

then I type in:reboot, and I'm back to the spinning wheel of death.

Thanks for your help, please give me more!

Brenda

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Brenda,

will give you some more things to try after 9pm GMT...

...currently updating the website and it's taking longer than it should !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Will be back to normal tomorrow...

...updates took ages !

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Just checking...

I started like you said and typed in the text it gave me which led to a series of references such as:

What exactly did you type ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
When I started with option S, it says to reboot type: sh /etc/rc
It then runs through several lines of code and then I typed in reboot and it restarts but gets hung up and gives me the wheel. So...........it also says if you want to make modifications to a file type: /sbin/fsck -fy, when I do that I get the system check, files, folders, catalogs, hard drive, etc. After it runs through the check I type in "reboot" with the same result.

I give up for tonight.

Ric

Reaction score
Sorry to palm you off with a generic support document...

...have you got any further. I have now finished updating the website.

Let me know where you're at.

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Ok lets try starting in the Mac up in 'Safe Mode'...

To start up into Safe Mode (to "Safe Boot"), do this:

Be sure the computer is shut down.

Press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key.

Tip: The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? (Mac OS X)

Safe Boot is a special way to start Mac OS X 10.2 or later when troubleshooting. Safe Mode is the state Mac OS X is in after a Safe Boot.

Starting up into Safe Mode does three things to simplify the startup and operation of your computer:

It forces a directory check of the startup volume.

It loads only required kernel extensions (some of the items in /System/Library/Extensions).

It runs only Apple-installed startup items (some of the items in /Library/StartupItems and /System/Library/StartupItems - and different than login items).
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables all fonts other than those in /System/Library/Fonts .

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It moves to the Trash all font caches normally stored in /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/(uid)/ , where (uid) is a user ID number such as 501.

Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger only: It disables any Login Items.

Taken together, these changes can work around issues caused by software or directory damage on the startup volume.

Some features don't work in Safe Mode

Safe Mode can be useful for troubleshooting. However, certain Mac OS X features do not work when you are started up in Safe Mode. For example, you can't use DVD Player, capture video in iMovie, use an AirPort card, use audio input or output devices, or use an internal or external USB modem.

Give this a go and we'll take it from there...

regards

Ric

Ask a Question