Speed issue with brand new iMac (OS X 10.5, 1 GB RAM)

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a question and would be grateful if anyone had any suggestions.

My friend just bought a 2.4 Ghz iMac with 1 GB of RAM (OS X 10.5 I think). It's similar to what I use.

However, after about 2 weeks of using it, in now runs incredibly slow. Opening an application like Safari or Word can take 30 seconds to two minutes. Sometimes ANY mouse click will cause the computer to pause for about 30 seconds.

I went over to check it out and ran a virus search. It came up empty. I then tried to repair permissions using Disk Utility. The program said it would take about 11 minutes. After 40, I restarted the computer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello.

I have a question and would be grateful if anyone had any suggestions.

My friend just bought a 2.4 Ghz iMac with 1 GB of RAM (OS X 10.5 I think). It's similar to what I use.

However, after about 2 weeks of using it, in now runs incredibly slow. Opening an application like Safari or Word can take 30 seconds to two minutes. Sometimes ANY mouse click will cause the computer to pause for about 30 seconds.

I went over to check it out and ran a virus search. It came up empty. I then tried to repair permissions using Disk Utility. The program said it would take about 11 minutes. After 40, I restarted the computer.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Did you find a resolution of the problem? I have the same on a 2020 model

Ask a Question