[SOLVED] Updating OS 9.1 to OS 9.2

Reaction score
Hi there!

In order to work with OS 10 in the future, I suppose I have to upgrade my system OS 9.1 to OS 9.2.

I already have the update on a zip disk, and believe that I once loaded it down directly from the official Applesite.

What will change with upgrading my system? Are there any dangers of losing preferences, control panes, maybe even my DSL connection to the internet, system data and the like?

Is the upgrade easily to manage? Any other dangers for my data?

Thanks in anticipation!

(My machine: iMac DV 400 Slotloading, Mac OS 9.1, 512 MB RAM, 12 GB internal HD, 250 GB external Iomega HD "MiniMax")

Reaction score
Re: Updating OS 9.1 to OS 9.2

No danger :) 9.1 to 9.2 is painless. :smile:
Thanks a lot, RhianB!

Will 9.2 really run much better than 9.1, either as Classic when booting into 10, or after a direct boot without 10? My present 9.1 has been running smoothly and fast for years without major trouble, so will the upgrade really improve the performance of my iMac DV 400?

Your comments are highly appreciated!

Reaction score

When I updated to 9.2.2, I did not notice any substantial performance increase ... just added compatibility which still has its limitations with 9.2.2. Flash for instance will not update to its most current standard w/o OSX. Neither will the most up-to-date browser versions of firefox, opera etc. work on 9.2.2. Still, I have had no problems working around these limitations in classic on my old G3. If you want or require updated flash and/or the added security of updated browsers, I recommend ultimately installing OSX.

9.2.2 sure is fun though and works great for general goofing around on the net, word processing etc. :biggrin:

Reaction score

Thanks again, RhianB!

That's good news! Have a nice weekend...

Ask a Question