[SOLVED] undeletable folder

Reaction score
I'm using OSX10.4.11 on an imac.

There's a folder in my trash that won't delete. When trying to delete, the message "The operation cannot be completed because the folder "NOWFOLDER" is in use.
The folder also can't be removed from the trash. When I attempt to move it to the desktop, it just makes a copy for the desk top. That copy CAN be deleted when I throw it away, but the original folder can't. The undeletable folder is contained in another folder which, because it contains the undeletable folder ("NOWFOLDER"), also can't be deleted.

I've tried various programs (Onyx, Trash it!, Obliter8, etc.). I've also tried the easy ways: closing all applications, pushing option key when emptying trash, rebooting, renaming folder, etc. Also tried using Terminal (for example: sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash). None of these things have any effect.

The folder is not locked. it contains an executable unix file, whatever that is (I'm trying to show that I'm a bit of a dummy).

Is there any hope short of reinstalling my system?

Reaction score
Re: undeletable folder

!st try holding down the "option" key before selecting "Empty Trash"

If that don't work there are other options.
Try this first then if that does not work
We'll try other options
but in most cases the "option" key will work
a "Locked file can cause this and holding the "Option Key" will bypass that.

Reaction score

Thank you.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned in my earlier message, I've already tried using the option key when deleting the trash. This did not work.

The folder does not appear to be locked (as I also mentioned earlier).

Please do let me know of any further options you can suggest.

Reaction score

Not sure if you can do this with 10.4.11 but if the option is there in the finder try it. "EMPTY TRASH SECURELY" This should work for you.

Reaction score

Thanks. Yes, that option is available, but it has no effect on the file.

Reaction score

Hello, is that a system file inside of that folder that you're trying to delete?

Reaction score

No, just an ordinary folder which I created myself in the ordinary way. The folder contains an executable unix file.

Reaction score

Here's a few more things that we can try. First try this. Second, you could open up "Activity Monitor" (Applications-Utilities-Activity Monitor) and locate and quit the undesired process and empty the trash; third, seeing that you have rebooted your Mac and the "NOWFOLDER" is still in use, you can delete it from your Login items (System Preferences-Accounts-Login Items) and empty the trash.

Reaction score

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I tried the first option you mention, but without result (I installed the program and pushed the 'run' button, but nothing happened).

The third option doesn't seem to apply, since the stubborn folder doesn't appear among the login items.

The middle option you mention (open up "Activity Monitor" and locate and quit the undesired process and empty the trash) isn't clear to me, since I don't know what the 'undesired process' is. What kind of process should I be looking for?

Reaction score

This is getting discouraging. Nothing at all works. I've now tried about a dozen further suggestions from various sources gathered on the Net, and half a dozen more magical deletion programs that will ABSOLUTELY DELETE ANYTHING. Anything, that is, except my eternal folder.

There has GOT to be a method of FORCING the trash to empty that really works! (Well, doesn't there?) Maybe I should pour Ex-Lax into the disk slot?

Reaction score

What other methods have you tried? Have you tried changing the permissions on the folder and it's contents to "read" and "write" for (Your User Name)?

Reaction score

"The middle option you mention (open up "Activity Monitor" and locate and quit the undesired process and empty the trash) isn't clear to me, since I don't know what the 'undesired process' is. What kind of process should I be looking for?"

You can tell which process or application is using the file by using the lsof command in terminal.
1. Click the Trash icon in the Dock. A Finder window opens showing the contents of your Trash.
2. Open Terminal.
3. Position the windows showing the Trash and the Terminal adjacent to each other.
4. At the Terminal prompt, type lsof followed by a single space.
5. Drag and drop the file from the Trash's Finder window to the Terminal window.
6. Press the "Return" key.
7. Under the first column heading called "COMMAND" is the name of the process or application that is using the file.

Reaction score

Oh, Sage Walrus.

The nature of the problem has now become clear, thanks to you. And it is also clear why no one in the entire Web was able to help me. I keep a flash disk on a hub to use as a back-up disk for files I am working on. All the repair methods people suggested to me were being directed at my hard disk, not at this flash disk. And whenever I rebooted, the flash disk was still sitting there in the hub. Using the lsof command on terminal showed that my back-up disk was using a file contained in the undeletable folder. So I simply ejected the back-up disk, and without even having to empty my trash, the shameful unwanted folder disappeared into the ether forever. Bless you, my dear Walrus. May you prosper and live long.

Tepa

Ask a Question