[SOLVED] Help needed with disk repair!

Reaction score
So, my Macbook pro has been running slowly, and ive downloaded OnyX. Checking the start up disc has found it to be corrupted. I therefore need to repair the disc. It tells me to:

To repair your startup-disk, start up from your Mac OS X Install disc, then choose Utilities > Disk Utility..

I dont know what it means to start up from my installation disc! Does it mean the CD's that come with the computer? im now in a different country with none of the original disc's (if any) that would have come with my computer.....

HELP PLEASE!!!!! I am rather useless with computers, and newish to macs.

Reaction score
Re: Help needed with disk repair!

"Does it mean the CD's that come with the computer?"
Yes, it does. However, you can give AppleJack a shot. You might want to make it a point to print out the "Read me" file that comes with AppleJack and follow its instructions.

Reaction score

Thanks a lot walrus! Apple jack worked a treat for fixing the disc.

Now im about to try and give my macbook a tune up. Its a bit slow.

If you could help me with the safe things to do through OnyX (or any other way of speeding things up) that would be great.

Otherwise ill just work my way through the cleaning and probably maintenance features of OnyX.

I just dont want to make any silly mistakes that will cost me!

Any advice welcome.

Reaction score

Open OnyX, click the "Automation" icon, select everything in Maintenance, select LaunchServices and dyld's shared cache in Rebuilding, and select everything in Cleaning. I reiterate, check out OnyX's help feature for more info. Not only will you learn what OnyX does, you'll learn more about your Mac. :)

Ask a Question