Snap/Crackle/Pop

Reaction score
iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2009)
3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
OS 10.12.6

1. Since a recent upgrade to Sierra, I have been hearing a snap/crackle/pop especially after booting the machine just as the complete desktop forms. Maybe I hear a random click or two while browsing, nothing of any duration with no discernable pattern. Is there a fix or is this something I'll have to live with? I am doing nothing with audio files, have no music files running, doing everyday browsing, reading emails, word processing/graphics stuff.

2. Prior to Sierra I enjoyed a chime-free boot. I would like to continue with that experience. I have found older efforts ( http://osxdaily.com/2012/11/04/disable-mac-boot-chime/ ) to disable the chime involving various sudo commands, but nothing that purports to kill Sierra's boot chime specifically. Is there something, short of remembering to mute the volume before shutdown, that will result in a silent boot?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello,

Is the sound you are hearing at startup through your iMac's speakers or through external speakers? I would try the following resets to see if they helps with the "snap/crackle/pop" at startup:
Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

New firmware architecture Macs (I believe from late 2016 to present) which startup with a black screen background and white  don't chime any longer from what I have seen. I personally don't know of any command to prevent this, but maybe this would work: nobootsound.

Of course, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup before performing any troubleshooting or running any Terminal commands.

C

Reaction score
Hello,

Is the sound you are hearing at startup through your iMac's speakers or through external speakers? I would try the following resets to see if they helps with the "snap/crackle/pop" at startup:

New firmware architecture Macs (I believe from late 2016 to present) which startup with a black screen background and white  don't chime any longer from what I have seen. I personally don't know of any command to prevent this, but maybe this would work: nobootsound.

Of course, make sure you have a current Time Machine or other backup before performing any troubleshooting or running any Terminal commands.

C
Thanks for your response.
I have no external speakers; the sounds I hear are therefore coming from the iMac speakers. I have done the resets you suggest; however, the sounds persist.
Hello,

C
I have already tried the resets you suggest, but the sounds (from the iMacs speakers as I an not using any external speakers) persist.
Nobootsound, however, appears to have taken care of both irritations. Two reboots and no chimes and no pops, clicks, whatever, at least so far. I learned something else new, too, i.e., how to copy the path to a filename. Even if, for some reason, the gremlins return it matters not, for learning something new is always a good thing.
Cory, thank you for taking the time to help me with this problem.

Ask a Question