Sluggish Purges?

Reaction score
Hola, I have been working with several, rather lots of large psd and indd files at the same time, switching back and forth, updating, adding etc. I generally don't have any other 'major' apps open at the same time, but I would like to have Illustrator in there! After a while, everything sslllows down. I get the spinning beach ball all the time, for even switching apps. It reminds me of when I had a beige ppc and had to restart it after intensive photoshop or illustrator workings.
Anyway, what do I do? Is there a way to purge something? I don't know if that's the right word. I've restarted a few times, but I thought that OS X didn't work that way somehow? Obviously I'm well versed at this, sorry. I don't keep too many large files open at the same time, but sometimes 3 or 4 psd files while 1 or 2 indd files are open to edit parts of a book, etc. InDesign seems to respond the worst; sometimes key commands won't work anymore or it takes 3 or 4 minutes to save or close files.
I'm using a iBook 1.42 G4 w 1GB ram + running 10.4.6 (and yes I know it's not the biggest or bestest, but it works well after I restart... and then begins to get bogged down.) I feel like I repair permissions more often than one is supposed to: every couple of days... is that too often?
Also when this begins to happen, windows from one application will stay 'in front' when I've already switched applications. ie: finder windows will be on top of Camino, while I'm typing in Camino.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
Hi Rooter.

I would think that repairing permissions every two days or so is a little OTT, although I cannot see it doing any harm.

Have you thought of opening Activity monitor while using these programs to keep an eye on CPU/memory/disk usage etc? This will allow you to see what is happening to various rescources and maybe decipher what is happening.

It sounds to me like the system is bottlenecking somewhere, or it simply could be a case that the memory is not being handled efficiently.

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

I would also add... How much free disk space have you got ?

The fact that have 1Gb of Ram will mean that when you have a few apps/docs/open the Swap space (Virtual Ram) is working hard and I would expect that to be a factor !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question