Security Startup Utility won't accept admin password

Reaction score
I am using a 16" MBP on 10.15.2 and trying to change the security settings so I can boot from a backup drive. I am the admin on my computer. Security Startup Utility asks for an administrator password but will not accept the password I use the login to my computer and authenticate application installs, etc. It will not accept being left blank. I have rebooted my computer and done resetpassword from terminal. The admin password continues to function for all the usual activities on the computer, but will work to access Security Startup Utility. Why is this happening and how to fix it?

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Due to Apple's increased system security and use of the Apple T2 Security Chip, your best course of action would be to contact Apple Support directly. Any suggestion we would make could possibly lock you out of your Mac, and I personally don't have any experience with the latest 16" MBP running Catalina with the Apple T2 Security Chip.

C

Reaction score
Hello and welcome.

Due to Apple's increased system security and use of the Apple T2 Security Chip, your best course of action would be to contact Apple Support directly. Any suggestion we would make could possibly lock you out of your Mac, and I personally don't have any experience with the latest 16" MBP running Catalina with the Apple T2 Security Chip.

C

Cory, thanks for your reply. Apple wants me to wipe out my drive and restore from a TimeMachine backup. They don't necessarily think that will fix it, but indicated it's the first troubleshooting step. Seemed a bit overkill and pretty time-consuming versus asking on forums first. Is the password for Security Startup Utility stored on the T2 chip? I thought (and Apple indicated) it should be the same as my Admin password which I use to login to my computer?

Reaction score
Problem solved by booting into Recovery Mode and performing reinstall of the OS (10.5.2). After the reinstall was completed, I rebooted again into Recovery Mode, launched Security Startup Utility and entered my Administrator password when prompted. This time, it accepted the same password that I use for logging into the computer and the application opened.

Cory Cooper

Reaction score
Excellent...glad that worked for you.

Not sure what happened there, and wish I had a better answer for you.

Thanks for letting us know what the resolution was, in case someone else runs into that.

Be well,

C

Reaction score
I'm not sure either and Apple was the least helpful they've ever been with an issue. Strangely they did zero troubleshooting before telling me that the higher level techs wouldn't address the issue because I setup the computer from a SuperDuper restore rather than an Apple method. Although, direct USBC cable transfer didn't work and TimeMachine gave an error. The peer to peer sharing b/w my 2016 MBP and this new 16" was going at about 15MB/s which would have taken over 24 hrs to transfer and I don't have a 24 hr period when I can be without my computer. Given they both have wifiac that speed seems quite slow. So, I restored in about an hour with SuperDuper and all seemed well. I don't have many problems I need to troubleshoot so my mind wasn't in troubleshooting mode until this issue with Security Startup Utility occurred. Bizarre Apple never even recommended just reinstalling the system when they were claiming they can't address it because SuperDuper may have introduced a file problem. Given how quick, easy, and relatively cost-free a reinstall is, it should be pretty high on the list of interventions. It's solved other wonky problems I've had in the past. Anyway, not impressed with Apple on this and another recent issue.

Ask a Question