Security-Remote Lurker or am I just being paranoid!

Reaction score
Greetings to all and a Happy New Year!

I'm not sure I have a problem to be honest, but a friend suggests someone is remote viewing and accessing my home system and I'd like to find out.

I have a G4 400 running 10.4.3

For the last couple of months I've had two odd things happening on my screen. First, I notice that when I log in after reboot there are two icons for login, my own and one called Others. That may be normal with the frequent upgrades I get from Apple.

The other is that my cursor often moves or jumps on the screen as if controlled by another. I mentioned this to my PC friend and he said such cursor movement could mean an unwanted Lurker or someone remotely controlling my machine.

There are some of my business files stored on what is primarily a home computer.

So am I just being paranoid here or is there a potential problem? https://www.mac-help.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

Teddy Ray

:eek:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Teddy Ray,

Welcome and Happy New Year !

If you want I can do a non-ivasive scan from here if you want ! (Computer/Network Security is one of the many professional hats that I wear !)

Once the ankle biter has gone to bed (8.30pm GMT) if you login in to this site then I'll let you know what to do...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
No problem !

I wouldn't be worried if I were you, the chances of someone having remote viewing access is fairly slim...

...it would be fine on Saturday around the same time.

Is the computer you are on now the one in question ?

regards

Ric

Ask a Question