Script to quickly install programs on multiple Macs

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am very new to Applescript also very interested in it. I work part time at Drexel University for computer support. We have over 15 new Macs that are for faculty and we need to install the Office suite, SPSS, Norton AntiVirus and a few others. We origionally were just going to create an image and use ASR, but the image is way to big and we don't want to set up a seperate network to do a multicast.

Since the programs we need installed are capable of just being dragged into the application folder of each hard drive, I suggested that we copy the programs on a CD or DVD and then just drag them over. In short the idea was accepted and I was asked to try and create a script that can copy all these programs over to the hard drive from the disc and then create an icon in the dock for that program. I read other posts about backup and thought that method could be used to move the files over the Application folder, but i'm still left with the icon in the dock issue.
I need to try and get this task accomplished before Friday, so anyhelp is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Shane

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Shane and welcome !

do you have a spare External Hard Drive...I would copy the Apps to that then plug that into each Mac copy the Apps a cross and then make the Dock icon...

You should be done in a day !

You could do it with AppleScript, but it wouldn't really make it any quicker...

Are the Mac's Networked...can you access them via Termal or File Sharing ?

If you can...copy the Apps to one Mac and then from there set up acopy to each Mac over night...then when you come in...in the morning jst whizz round to each Mac and Make the Dock icons...

There I would try and get your bosses to buy Apple Remote Desktop...it would make this very easy to do !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hey Ric thanks for the quick reply!

The problem is these computers are not on our network and are not going to be managed by our department. These are pretty much personal computers for the faculty and we have a 10 license remote desktop for lab computers. We do not currently have the budget to get another license or get an unlimited. I do have an external but If I did this all off one external this would take a long time. The ideal plan is to burn the script and the programs and hand this disc out with the new systems. (Make this as Professor proof as possible! :p)This would keep us from even having to open all the boxes and going through all the setup menus ourselves. If this isn't possible I'll have to resort to manually coping the programs over and creating the shortcuts in the dock. Which im not looking forward to at all if that has to be done.. -sigh-

I appreciate your suggestions and I wish I had the room and resources to set all these up and just let them do their thing over night. If it was up to me I would just print out directions on how to get the software for these professors. But more than half will probably have trouble turning them on!

Thanks again!
-Shane

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Shane,

sorry for the delay !

things got very busy my end !

I hope you got it sorted.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hey Ric,

Its no problem, I understand that your busy. I still find it amazing how you can manage to reply every post. I ran into a problem trying to install Norton. I wish i didn't have to put it onto them, I find it kinda pointless. Anyways. I was wondering if it was possible to write a script so it can run the Norton installer after the user sets up their computer and creates their profile for the first time. We have been copying the applications over in target disc mode. so we dont have to go over the setup and create the profiles for the users. If you can help me out in this matter or advise me on what i can do it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Shane

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Shane,

It's no problem really...thanks for your kind comments !

Sorry I'm struggling to do anything with Norton's as I don't have it on any of My OS X Mac's anymore...it does more harm than good !

Maybe some one else will be able to help with a script, sorry !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I see this is really late, but I just found your site and I'm sure you have already found a solution to your problem. Other than using ARD and if you are running OSX which I'm assuming you are...you could use a firewire cable to connect the two Macs....just install the apps on one computer and target that computer to another computer and use Migration Assistant to copy the apps over or the entire computer including accounts. You only have a few computers so it should take long and if you have more firewire cables you could target more computers as you finish them to go faster. I too work in IT for an educational institute so we are always asked to do things with the tools we have...they hate spending money....this is using tools you already have. It's not the best/greatest solution....but it works :D

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there Rebooted and welcome !

doesn't matter how late !

All tips/suggestion are welcomed !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question