Screen unreadable but 'brightness up' button not working

Reaction score
I would be awfully grateful if anyone could help me out here. I would appreciate any help, naturally, but would be particularly appreciative of a speedy reply as I am on a borrowed machine I must return soon!

I have a MacBook, 13 inch screen, but unfortunately cannot tell you what OS I am running as the problem is with the screen itself. rings a bell, if that is of any use.

Last night when I went to open my MacBook I couldn't 'brighten' the screen. It is on and working, as you can just about see my desktop background if you peer hard enough/shine enough light on, and the longer I leave it closed (i.e. overnight, a good few hours rest etc.), the longer it stays 'on' before the screen once again goes black (after a night's rest it stayed at full brightness for about 8 seconds). Usually the remedy would be of course to use the F2 button to brighten the screen but this doesn't seem to work at all.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a bad inverter board but they usually go bad and not come back on at all.
but could be the cables going to the Inverter Board. if it comes on once in awhile, moving screen back and forth.

The Inverter Board controls the back light and is usually the culprit in my experience.

Ask a Question