Scanner has gone awry

Reaction score
I am not sure whether this is an issue with my 2014 MacBook Air Preview applicationor perhaps the Epson XP-4100 series scanner/printer. I was away for about 2 weeks and when I got back I needed to scan some tax documents. Firstly, in Preview I was not getting the option to scan from printer. Finally got that sorted out and now it does the scan set-up but it keeps saying "Select area you want to scan" and I have no idea what it means, since I have never had to do that in the past.

Reaction score
I am not sure whether this is an issue with my 2014 MacBook Air Preview applicationor perhaps the Epson XP-4100 series scanner/printer. I was away for about 2 weeks and when I got back I needed to scan some tax documents. Firstly, in Preview I was not getting the option to scan from printer. Finally got that sorted out and now it does the scan set-up but it keeps saying "Select area you want to scan" and I have no idea what it means, since I have never had to do that in the past.
It has been a long time since I used an Epson scanner and have forgotten the features. Is your system software up-to-date? Your MBA should be able to run Big Sur, and simply updating or reinstalling macOS will install the current versions of your printer’s files. If you are indeed current, try deleting the scanner from your devices and then install it again.

I suggest using Image Capture for scanning. I have a Brother printer/scanner but I never use their utilities. I find Image Capture easier to work with. And from your problem with selecting the scan area, select the tick box for “Use Custom Size” and drag a rectangle with your cursor to activate a rectangle selection box and adjust the size/edges on the preview. Hope this works.

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I used an Epson scanner and have forgotten the features. Is your system software up-to-date? Your MBA should be able to run Big Sur, and simply updating or reinstalling macOS will install the current versions of your printer’s files. If you are indeed current, try deleting the scanner from your devices and then install it again.

I suggest using Image Capture for scanning. I have a Brother printer/scanner but I never use their utilities. I find Image Capture easier to work with. And from your problem with selecting the scan area, select the tick box for “Use Custom Size” and drag a rectangle with your cursor to activate a rectangle selection box and adjust the size/edges on the preview. Hope this works.

Reaction score
Thank you Tony. I un-ticked the "custom" box and that took care of one problem. I am using Catalina. When I have upgraded the OS on my computer I sometimes have a whole new set of problems. But I like your suggestion about Image Capture. I will try that. And yes I already deleted and re-installed the scanner and it helped with the earlier problems I was having.

Reaction score
Thank you Tony. I un-ticked the "custom" box and that took care of one problem. I am using Catalina. When I have upgraded the OS on my computer I sometimes have a whole new set of problems. But I like your suggestion about Image Capture. I will try that. And yes I already deleted and re-installed the scanner and it helped with the earlier problems I was having.
If you want to defer the update to Big Sur, I suggest downloading the installer for Catalina. Usually, simply reinstalling the current version of macOS will refresh the system, and files that have been corrupted or degraded from use will be renewed. I do this very often, at the first signs of “things not working like they used to.” You can download the system software from here:

The first time you run the installer, abort the process and first make a copy of the installer (it will be in your Applications folder). Set this aside for future reinstallation so you don’t have to download all over again. Then launch it again from the Applications folder.

Reaction score
If you want to defer the update to Big Sur, I suggest downloading the installer for Catalina. Usually, simply reinstalling the current version of macOS will refresh the system, and files that have been corrupted or degraded from use will be renewed. I do this very often, at the first signs of “things not working like they used to.” You can download the system software from here:

The first time you run the installer, abort the process and first make a copy of the installer (it will be in your Applications folder). Set this aside for future reinstallation so you don’t have to download all over again. Then launch it again from the Applications folder.

Ask a Question