Safe/Deep-Sleep crashing - PB G4 15"

Reaction score
Hi There

My PB G4 15" has trouble waking from deepsleep (or safesleep - not sure which it is called).

It starts to wake up (you can see the washed out screen and progress bar moving) and then the screen comes to life. Just as the cursor should start to be able to move, I get the black text box telling me to push and hold the power button to restart. There is some background...

I downloaded the "Deeplseep" widget from http://perso.wanadoo.fr/mbeaumel/deepsleep/.

As far as I know, it enters the command "sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1" in Terminal when you click it, and then on waking up it changes it back to hibernate mode 3 which is what it should be... only it doesn't get a chance to change back when it crashes.

I have installed and unistalled this widget a number of times and the problems persists. I thought it was the widget but it also does it when waking from deepsleep after the PB battery runs out.

I have just installed the latest security update but that has not fixed it. I have verified and repaired disc permissions. I have manually changed the hibernate mode to default using Terminal a few times and that is about it I think.

I hope this is enough info to go on. Can anyone help me?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

personally I would back everything up and the do an "Archive and Install "

then you see how you get on !

There has been numerous people with problems with that particular widget.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

I have an external hard drive but to be honest, I have never worked out the 'correct' way to back up. I just copied my user account (the profile that appears in finder under Network and Macintosh HD) onto my external HD. There were a couple of items it said it couldn't transfer but the rest seems to have worked.

If I want to completely back up my PB, user pref's the lot, what do I need to do? Also, if I do that do I need to do complete an Archive and Install, or can I just go for a wipe the HD and instal from nothing - then transfer everything from my external hard drive?

Am I confusing things?!?!?

Ask a Question