safari wont completely load all pages

Reaction score
Ok this may be a dumb question and I know it's something obvious that I'm missing. But I've just started using my brand new 27inch i-mac (yes, I love it) but when I log on to some websites, safari doesnt load some pages completely, instead leaving a "?".
I know this must be something simple...Please can someone help:confused:

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi adelaidemac :)

Firstly, there are no dumb questions, just easy/hard questions ;)

I'm guessing that you are using Snow Leopard with Safari 5?

When the page doesn't load ... do you see any error message? Is this only a problem with loading pages from websites that you are a member of?

Is the page white with the question mark?

Have you tried Resetting Safari & Emptying the Cache?

You will find these options under Safari in the menubar. You will be presented with a window informing you of the ramifications of each action and asking for you to accept or reject, so you can see exactly what each action does.

Let me know how it goes :)

Reaction score
thanks so much for the reply, but it's not on sites I am a member of. What happens is that the page loads, but some components of the page dont and instead there is a small box with a ? in it. I figured it was either photos missing or video files but yesterday I logged on to a site I had used before with my old imac - the site has a catalogue of products - and the page loaded but not the content. Is that any clearer?

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Could you take a Screen Shot of the web page and upload it here please?

To take the screenshot just press Shift + Command + 3 ... then the image will show as a file on your desktop.

Underneath the reply box is a manage attachments section where you can upload the image to here.

What is the website you are having trouble with and are there loads of other websites that don't have any loading issues? How about YouTube?

Reaction score
Hi again - here's a screen shot. it's not all websites just some. Youtube is fine.
thanks for taking the trouble to help with this

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-11-05 at 5.57.34 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-11-05 at 5.57.34 PM.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 369

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
I had a quick look at that website. it's really nice on the eyes ... I see it also has some nice video transitions which could be causing the problems you are experiencing... I recommend you download/install the following and see if things get any better, adelaidemac.

Download Adobe Flash Player

Reaction score
Hi - i have that version of adobe flash player installed and the problem is still there. i'll keep trying. thanks for your help.

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
OK, there's a few things to try now ...

If you go to Safari ~> Reset Safari you will be presented with a window telling you what will happen if you click ok ... read that through then either OK it or Cancel depending on your choice.

Go to Safari ~> Empty Cache ... you will see another window explaining what the results of such an action is ... you will need the username/password of any website you have asked to "Remember" you every time you visit it as this sort of info will be wiped from your browser.

Another thing to try is to go to Applications Folder ~> Safari.app and right-click on the icon and select "Get Info". Look to see whether or not "Open in 32-bit Mode" has a tick next to it. If not, select it and try to see if that helps. Also let me know whether "Open Using Rosetta" has a tick before it ... if so you may want to try disabling it and restarting Safari to see if there's any difference.

Lastly (but also you can do this step before the others if you want), download Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5.9.615

Here is an explanation as to where these internet Plug-Ins live on your HD:

Safari stores its plug-in files in one of two locations. The first location is /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/. This location contains plug-ins that are available to all users of your Mac, and is where you will find most plug-ins. The second location is your home directory’s Library folder at ~/Library/Internet Plug-ins/. The tilde (~) in the pathname is a shortcut for your user account name. For example, if your user account name is Tom, the full pathname would be /Tom/Library/Internet Plug-ins. This location holds plug-ins that Safari only loads when you log in to your Mac.

As you can see, my Safari's Internet Plug-Ins are stored in the latter location. Have a look to see if you have the Plug-In that has the arrow pointing to it. If so, there's no point in downloading the Shockwave Player ...

20101108-cbb67s913p7a43yk7cxjjarx4p.jpg

If you have absolutely no joy with any of the above ... try downloading FireFox or Camino, (other web browsers) to see if the problem persists there ....

Also try using another User Account on your Mac ... if you don't have another account you can create a "Standard" account in System Preferences ~> System ~> Accounts.

Ask a Question