Safari- suddenly won't load / iTunes store / software update

Reaction score
Hi, I use safari and firefox, but a while back just SAFARI stopped working, when you click on it this comes up

http://cache-removal.virginmedia.com//

and it just gives you lots of PC-friendly info as to what to do next...?

Firefox is working as normal, as is Entourage, but have noticed that when you click software update, it says

"A networking error has occurred: error NSURL error domain -1100"

Also iTunes store won't load.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

HELP I AM USELESS

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi, I use safari and firefox, but a while back just SAFARI stopped working, when you click on it this comes up

http://cache-removal.virginmedia.com//

and it just gives you lots of PC-friendly info as to what to do next...?

Firefox is working as normal, as is Entourage, but have noticed that when you click software update, it says

"A networking error has occurred: error NSURL error domain -1100"

Also iTunes store won't load.

Does this make any sense to anyone?

HELP I AM USELESS

Have a look in Safari Preferences and set your Home Page accordingly, this might sort out that strange issue.

About the Software Update error, try running the following commands in the Terminal:

defaults delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL
defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

Quit Terminal and try the Software Update again ...

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 772
Reaction score
Hi Spawn-Dooley-

Thanks- tried re-setting the home page, but no joy.

Sorry but don't know what the terminal is. Sorry to be thick!

I need very direct instructions when it comes to computers!

Sorry...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
How can you call yourself thick just because you don't know about Terminal ... the fact that I do doesn't make me any sort of genius ... I know something you don't and I'm sure the same applies in reverse ... ;)

MacintoshHD -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal

OR just press Command + U to go straight to the Utilities folder
OR press Command + Spacebar to launch Spotlight (dropdown text box in upper right of Desktop) and type Ter and click on Terminal when it appears in the list to launch it.

Reaction score
Hello again... managed to find this "Terminal" now- thanks... am a bit nervous about typing that in the wrong place.

Should it look like a little window with some basic font, do I just type what you said

defaults delete com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL
defaults delete /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL

underneath what's already on there?

Sorry...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi, when you launch Terminal you will see a flashing prompt ... just type the exact text with the spaces between the letters exactly as shown. After you enter the 1st line press Enter then continue entering the 2nd sentence at the prompt ... then press Enter and then type Quit at the prompt then you can close Terminal. Command + Q will quit the app for you.

Reaction score
Hi again- thanks so much for all your help... I also remembered that quite some time back a similar thing happened with safari / software update and I posted a thread on one of the other strings- so I had a look at my old post... I was brave and went into the proxies thingy in system preferences.

I wrote everything down, all the numbers then unchecked a box that was ticked... then it all worked!

Don't understand why or what that all means!

Thanks- will remember your good advice also if I need help again! And thank you for not making me feel thick!:)

Suzo

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
So there was a tick in the Proxy box stuffing up the works ... glad it's all sorted out Suzo ... anytime you need help, feel free to ask for it regardless. ;) How strange that a simple update can have such a random and confusing effect on the end user enjoyment of a computer ... see, you did know something I didn't .... I'll have to bookmark this fix!

Reaction score
Thanks- and thank goodness for this website! You are all providing a great service for people like me who wish they understood their macs more! :)

Reaction score
Baffling is the word I like! I'm totally confused at the moment and can't even post a question on the forum for some reason - so I'll try here ... The software update freezes just before the bar is full. I've tried posting as a question but nothing happens and then the page goes blank!

Eleanor

Ask a Question