Running my iBook with power adapter

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if it's alright to leave my iBook connected to the power adapter all the time? I recently purchased a used iBook 14",700mghz. in perfect condition on eBay. It came with all factory instructions etc. but don't see the answer to my question.I'm not sure if I should sign,so I will, thosmagna

Reaction score
Hello thosmagna and Welcome!

In my opinion, it is good to drain the battery down now and then. This allows the battery to cycle itself. I leave my laptop plugged in all the time. But I do like to cycle the battery now and then. From my experience, cycling the battery makes it last longer. I hope this helps you!

Reaction score
Thanks searay345 & yes it helps a lot.I have been leaving it plugged in all the time & I'll take your suggestion about cycling the battery now & then. Thanks again

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

It all depends on how you want to use your laptop...

I have always found, to get the longest life from your battery you should only plug it in when it needs charging...then use it till it's drained...then charge again...

Ths way it keeps the battery 'good'.

However, with that said, a lot of people buy laptops as replacements for 'desktop' machines and don't 'take' them anywhere so the battery life isn't that important to them.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I had a battery in my 12" PB that failed in about ten months. The "Apple Genius" at the Apple Store told me I had destroyed the battery because I leave the laptop plugged in most of the time, and he claimed using the computer in a plugged in state after the battery is fully charged will actually damage the battery. He said the battery should be removed once it is charged if you plan to leave the computer plugged in to make the battery last longer.

Reaction score
I always leave my laptop plugged in, and every month, drain the battery to calibrate it. I have never had an issue with doing this at all in many years.

Leaving your laptop plugged in with the battery does *not generally* cause it any harm - I am not sure where the Apple tech is coming from here.

The problem with charging your battery and then plugging it out, using the charge and then charging it up again and repeating this behaviour as a continuous thing is that the battery will not last long, because any rechargable battery only has so many charge cycles.

If you do it that way, you are going to be at least charging the battery 5 times a week (if you use every day) - if a battery has, for instance, 100 charge cyles before a new one is needed, in 20 weeks the battery is going to be ruined.

If you charge it once a month, you are only using 12 cylces per year - meaning a much longer lasting battery.

Currently, my G4 powerbook is 2 years old. It has lost a mere 6 per cent of it's original battery capacity over almost 24 months, according to COCONUT BATTERY

So running your laptop with the power plugged in *should not* cause any issues at all, providing you remember to run the battery down at least once a month to re-calibrate it.

I have another laptop that still has its original battery in after 6 years using it plugged in all the time too :)

I will add though, that I always use good quality surge protectors, because a surge can damage the battery if your laptop is plugged in - even kill it, and if your sockets are prone to spikes, they can also damage it. Using a good surge protector will help eliminate any damage in this way :)

Ric

Reaction score
...thanks for the coconut link !

I think this will end as an agree to disagree ;-)

My battery gets calibrated once a month...but it's on it's way out !

coconut.jpg

Regards

Ric

Reaction score
According to that Ric, your battery has had 493 charge cycles since you got it ;)

As it is only 17 months old, maybe you charge it a little more than you think you do???

You can see mine is 23 months old, and has had 64 charge cycles.

Ric

Reaction score
Your logic certainly makes sense when looking at both 'coconuts'....

I've had a lot more cycles in less time !

I have always believed that it was best to charge ... use and then charge again.

Looking at the two coconut's it would seem that I am wrong, and the leave plugged in rule is better advice.

Always learning !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi Ric,

The only other thing I can think of is that you are leaving your laptop on overnight on standby - when it loses a little charge.

If you plug the charger in the next day, that will count as a charge cycle even though it is not a full one - and hence why yours is showing so many, and why your battery is quickly depleting.

I always turn my powerbook off after using it UNLESS I am going back on it in 30 minutes or so - I know it is quicker to leave on standby, but doing that does affect the battery.

Ric

Reaction score
My laptop is used all over the place, so I always use the battery. When the 'please plug in.." dialog box appears I plug in the charger. Once it is charged I unplug and go back to battery again.

17 months... 30 days x 17 = 510 which sounds about right, around 1 charge per day.

I also, always have it on max performance, no dimming, slowing down the processor, spin down drive etc !

I like it to be responsive. ;-)

When this battery gives up the ghost, I shall give your method a go and see how I get on.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
I did notice though Ric, that the ibook you have comes with a higher capacity battery than the power book I have - 5400mAh compared to 4400mAh, now that's not fair ;)

Reaction score
Yeah, I like to cycle my battery once a month. But being in college really puts high demand on my battery. plug it in, unplug it, etc. This is because with my luck, I am paired up with people in group projects that don't know much about technology, or don't have laptops. Blah blah blah blah blah. Anyway, here is my battery as of tonight. Kyomii, what do you think?

picture1vb2.png

Ric

Reaction score
I did notice though Ric, that the ibook you have comes with a higher capacity battery than the power book I have - 5400mAh compared to 4400mAh, now that's not fair ;)

Hi there, its a 17" PowerBook not an iBook, bigger battery-bigger drain !

I'll stick Coconut on Wife's iBook to see what hers is like.

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there, its a 17" PowerBook not an iBook, bigger battery-bigger drain !

I'll stick Coconut on Wife's iBook to see what hers is like.

regards

Ric

Ooops sorry Ric, I had ibook on my mind for some reason (I think because the OP said ibook). My apologies, but knowing that it makes it fair because mine is a 15inch powerbook ;)

Yeah, I like to cycle my battery once a month. But being in college really puts high demand on my battery. plug it in, unplug it, etc. This is because with my luck, I am paired up with people in group projects that don't know much about technology, or don't have laptops. Blah blah blah blah blah. Anyway, here is my battery as of tonight. Kyomii, what do you think?

picture1vb2.png

Not sure what to say Searay - except that your battery is showing more than its capacity LOL :)

Ask a Question