Replaced DC board - now hard drive failed

Reaction score
Hey,

My first post but thanks for all the useful advice recieved so far. Sorry if this has been answered before, i did a search but didnt see this exact problem.

So I replaced the dc board for my ibook g4 (very ancient, but in amazing working order until it kept shutting off after a few mins. after searching online and calling a repair shop, i figured it was the dc board. got one, replaced it). So anyway, not the charging cable seems to work again but the problem is that as soon as we turned the laptop back on, it went straight to the eternally dreaded grey screen with the flashing question mark and folder symbol.

I understand this means the hard drive is kaput, but is there any reason why this would happen after replacing the dc board? is there anything I can do to try to fix this? Is it game over? Is my laptop unfixable?

Any advice gratefully received...

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi,

The flashing ? you're seeing means that your iBook is searching for a valid System Folder (on the hard drive).

Put your Install Disc into the drive and restart while holding down the "C" key.

After choosing your Language, select "Disc Utility" from the Installer Menu up the top of the screen. Then select your Hard Drive in the left collumn and attempt to repair the Drive.

Here's a link from Apple's Support page:

A flashing question mark appears when you start your Mac

Ask a Question