Remove unwanted files

Reaction score
Hi I installed speed downloader on my macbook and then decided to un-install it by dropping it in the bin. I should have read the instuctions !! It has left some files on my HDD that will not let me down load anything !! I know what the files are but (and I know this will sound stupid,) but I don't know how to find and delete them. Any help would be great.
Macbook 2Ghz Intel Core Duo
1 Gb Ram
Mac OS X 10.4.10

Reaction score
Hello, I'm surprised that you want to uninstall Speed Download. Not only is it the best download manager around, you can also share files and upload with it as well. Unfortunately, you didn't use the Speed Download uninstaller that came with it. Nevertheless, here's the list of files and folders that Speed Download installs on your Mac. Delete these files and folders and you should be in business.

Attachments

• SpeedDownloadFiles.jpg
    SpeedDownloadFiles.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 330

Spawn_Dooley

Reaction score
Hi I installed speed downloader on my macbook and then decided to un-install it by dropping it in the bin. I should have read the instuctions !! It has left some files on my HDD that will not let me down load anything !! I know what the files are but (and I know this will sound stupid,) but I don't know how to find and delete them. Any help would be great.
Macbook 2Ghz Intel Core Duo
1 Gb Ram
Mac OS X 10.4.10

Hi soulboy and welcome,

When an app is downloaded and the volume is mounted you will sometimes see an Uninstaller alongside the Installer. It's easy to just drag the App to your Application folder and unmount the volume and delete the .dmg file from your HD. It's important to notice if there's an uninstaller provided in the instance that you no longer want the app ...

Besides just dragging the app to your Trash to uninstall it, you can also trawl your HD for lurking parts by doing a Spotlight search, in your case .... type Speed Downloader and delete all the files that Spotlight finds, but please take care to watch you don't inadvertantly delete something you shouldn't.

Another way is by using an app called 'AppZapper' which does more or less the same thing but in rather a dramatic way, with a loud Zap and they're gone! You just drag the App to the AppZapper window and it finds all the linked bits'n'pieces and asks for your permission to 'Zap' 'em out of existence!

Put simply, AppZapper is the uninstaller Apple forgot. (Linky)

Reaction score
Ok I tried to download appzapper but it crashes safari and freezes firefox. I am beginining to wonder what I have managed to do to my poor Macbook. It will now not download any programs at all. The problem I have is that I don't know how to search for files on my Macbook. This is the first time I have had to do it and although I know my way around a windows system very well this is new to me. So can you explain in simple terms how to search for and delete the files you say I need to delete, it is best to assume I know nothing !!
I am running Safari version 3.0.3 (522.12.1) and Firefox version 2.0.0.6

Reaction score
Ok I tried to download appzapper but it crashes safari and freezes firefox. I am beginining to wonder what I have managed to do to my poor Macbook. It will now not download any programs at all. The problem I have is that I don't know how to search for files on my Macbook. This is the first time I have had to do it and although I know my way around a windows system very well this is new to me. So can you explain in simple terms how to search for and delete the files you say I need to delete, it is best to assume I know nothing !!
I am running Safari version 3.0.3 (522.12.1) and Firefox version 2.0.0.6
Greetings, take a look at the attachment and you'll notice the paths to these particular files and folders. In order to uninstall Speed Download we have to delete these seven files and folders. For example, lets take 7. /Users/YourName/Library/InputManagers/SpeedDownload Enhancer. The files or folders that we want to delete are LISTED LASTLY in the path. WARNING: ONLY DELETE THE FILES OR FOLDERS THAT ARE LISTED LASTLY IN THE PATH! In this case of course it's SpeedDownload Enhancer. Take a look at the path. Slashes are used to indicate directories and subdirectories on a Mac. It tells us that SpeedDownload Enhancer is located in a folder called Input Managers which is in a folder called Library which is in your home folder. Let's delete this sucker!
Notice how we're following the path!
1.Open your Home folder either by clicking on the Finder icon in your dock or by clicking on the shift, command(The one with the Apple logo on it) and H keys at the same time.
2.Locate the Library folder and open it by double clicking on it.
3.Locate the Input Managers folder and open it by double clicking on it.
4.Locate the Speed Download Enhancer folder and click and drag it to the trash or click on it once and click the command and delete keys at the same time.
You can use this procedure to delete the rest of these files and folders as well.;)

Attachments

• SDFiles&Folders.jpg
    SDFiles&Folders.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 325

Ask a Question