Quicktime & Wireless Broadband

Reaction score
Hi all!

Just got my new Intel iMac, and very happy with it so far :)

Just a couple of questions...;)

I set up my BT broadband on my PC yesterday and it all installed fine. I then got my iMac delivered finally (it was delayed) and booted it up. It detected the connection wirelessly, so I haven't had to install any BT software to the machine or connect the modem. It does seem a wee bit slow downloading the pages though, even though it's supposed to be a 2mb line... Any ideas why? Should I install the software anyway to see if that helps?

Also..

I got Quicktime 7 with the computer but it won't play my videos :mad: I've tried playing an avi file and it will play the sound but there is no picture. A message comes up saying Q/Time doesn't have all necessary software and tells me to click on a link to get it. I do this and it comes up with various links for codecs on other sites. However this is confusing as I don't know which one I need! I tried downloading one and it didn't work. I'm a little annoyed as I've already had to download a program called StuffIt to extract the .bin files from downloads such as W/media player. Though I suppose this is similar to .rar files needing winrar to open them... Am I right?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

First, if your Mac detected the wireless network without you needing to do anything...that means that your wireless network may be set up insecurely...!

We'll talk about that later...

Quicktime, out of the box, should play .avi files ? Have you run Software update to check everything is up to date ?

Then do a repair permissions in Disk Utility, Restart and try again...

If you are trying to play .wmv files and .avi files through a web browser you will need something like this...http://www.flip4mac.com/

Yes, stuffit expander ... 'expands .bin .hqx .sit' etc it used to come installed on the Mac but now you have to download it...

Don't be sorry for the questions that's what we're here for...

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
...oh I forgot to mention I too have BT...and recently I have noticed a definite slooowdown !

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hiya, thanks for the reply :)

I haven't run software update, but shortly after I booted up a prompt came up notifying me of software updates. This was for most of the software in iLife. I downloaded everything and restarted so there should be no problem there.

I have tried re-downloading q/time but it still won't show the files. This meaning .avi files, I can play .mpg etc in w/media so not so bothered about that.

I did a search and it came up with flip4mac, but it wouldn't let me download it as it detected my processor is intel and it doesn't have a download available for that yet. So, do you think that means I am stuck until they have one available, or is there anything else I can try? No so bothered with q/time, but if you know of any other good players that I could download for free, it would be great if you could let me know :)

I will try a repair permissions later to see if that sorts anything out.

As far as BT is concerned, if you are experiencing slowdown too then it must be a general data transfer problem. I think it reverts to 1MB when 2MB isn't possible.

Thanks for the help!

:)

Reaction score
Hi I tried the VLC player and it wouldn't play the .avi files.....

Hmmm.

:(

Not too sure what to do.... Sit tight until there's some sort of update? I don't see why Quicktime won't work.

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm also having the same problem. I've done everything that was previously suggested, I even bought Quicktime Pro (I didn't know if that had anything to do with it), but still.... nothing:confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

what exactly is 'your' problem ?

Is it to do with avi files ?

What Mac do you have ? What version of OS is on it ? (10.4.4 etc?)

regards

Ric

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

this is what I have found out...

It would appear that the the issue you have is due to the .avi Quicktime component being PPC only.

If you force Quicktime Player to run using Rosetta, your .avi files should play just fine.

(Rosetta is the bit that allows your Mac to run older PPC programs !)

To get this to work try and do a "get info" on the Quicktime Player then click the check box to "open using Rosetta".

(Go to your Applications folder-->single click on Quicktime Player then do command + i to get the info box)

I can't give you a Intel screenshot, because I haven't got an Intel Mac... ;-(

regards

Ric

Reaction score
thanks for your help and welcoming me.

I'm guessing the instructions you gave were for Macs with Intel. (I could be totally wrong) I tried, but couldn't find the checkbox for "Open using Rosetta." I have a powerbook G4, using OS X (10.3.9), so , I still am not able to watch the AVI files, just the sound...

I came across my camera manual (of which i take videos with) - and it mentioned that "Movie playback is not supported on a Macintosh"!! :mad: Goodness... I wish I had known that before I bought the camera! if I had known, I wouldn't have wasted your time. But thanks for your help. :) and I hope iGirl has better luck than I did.

I wonder if there's still anything around that
:confused:

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

yes you are correct the instructions were for an Intel Mac...jumping the gun a bit ;-)

What make and model Camera do you have ?

I have a few...all of them 'create' .avi files and they all play on the Mac !

Don't despair...there will be a way round it !

Can you copy one of the files to your Mac --- Single click on it and get info...then do a screen grab of the window so we can see what it says...if you're not sure how to do this, you can just send one of the files to me and I'll have a look ([email protected])

regards

Ric

Ask a Question