GarageBand - Disk too slow

Reaction score
Hello all. I have questions. I use GarageBand(GB) a lot. Most of the time it is for processing recordings that have been made at gigs on a Tascam DR-05. After the gig, I will load it into iTunes, and from there move it into GB and divide it into individual tracks, and put the finished product onto iTunes. Sometimes I will EQ it a little, most of the time, not. All of these are MP3 files. Yesterday, I was almost finished with processing a gig, and the MBP popped up a box that said 'disc is too slow'. It went ahead and finished the job without doing something ugly. I did notice that the area of the hard drive was somewhat warm. I have seen this before, the last time was a while back, we were having a practice session, I had everybody running through a Tascam US-2000 interface, recording them onto multiple tracks, onto GB. After 2-3 hours of recording, it gave me the same message. I haven't tried that again for a couple of years, although I would like to be able to. It seems that I am hitting a ceiling of some kind, but I don't know exactly what. I either have a problem, not enough computer, or am trying to use it in ways that I shouldn't. I use Onyx, and Tech Tool Pro, and according to them, the MBP is just fine. When I bought this MBP, I thought it should be all the computer I would ever need, but sometimes I wonder if it isn't. This morning I looked online at Apples latest and greatest. I determined that unless I spend a LOT of money, what they had to offer wasn't much more powerful than what I have. I would like your thoughts on what I'm doing, what I have, what I might need, what I shouldn't be doing with it, etc. Mid 2012 MacBook Pro, 10.12.6, 2.9 GHz, Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3, 750GB.
Thanks, Ray

Reaction score
Hi Cory
I have 525GB of free space. Not running any plug-ins. As stated, I have only been running EQ, and that is only occasionally. For the event that happened a couple years ago when I was multi tracking everyone, I believe I was running compression on the lead singer.
Thanks, Ray

Reaction score
Cory,
Thanks for including the link in your reply. I checked it out and picked up a couple of pointers that will be helpful.
Thanks, Ray

Ask a Question