Previous systems

Reaction score
Hi,
I am running a Mac Powerbook 1.5 GHz G4 with 2GB memory using OS X 10.4.11.

I have had to reinstall the operating system twice due to the computer refusing to start up properly. I did this using "archive and install".
It seems to be working fine now. My problem is that the 74.5 GB internal hard drive is virtually full. My home folder is only taking up 11.5 GB and I have all my music, photos etc on an external drive.

I have got 2 "previous system" folders which are taking up about 25GB between them. My problem is that I really don't know what should be kept out of these and what can be deleted. I am guessing that most of the stuff is duplicates. Does the computer use any of the data in these files? My main concerning is losing emails and address book contacts. Will they have been transferred to the new system automatically? I am not really sure how it all works.

Also, is there a simple way of viewing what exactley is taking up all the space on my hard drive.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Matt

Reaction score
Hi,
I am running a Mac Powerbook 1.5 GHz G4 with 2GB memory using OS X 10.4.11.

I have had to reinstall the operating system twice due to the computer refusing to start up properly. I did this using "archive and install".
It seems to be working fine now. My problem is that the 74.5 GB internal hard drive is virtually full. My home folder is only taking up 11.5 GB and I have all my music, photos etc on an external drive.

I have got 2 "previous system" folders which are taking up about 25GB between them. My problem is that I really don't know what should be kept out of these and what can be deleted. I am guessing that most of the stuff is duplicates. Does the computer use any of the data in these files? My main concerning is losing emails and address book contacts. Will they have been transferred to the new system automatically? I am not really sure how it all works.

Also, is there a simple way of viewing what exactley is taking up all the space on my hard drive.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Matt
Feel free to trash 'em. :)
Here's a good app that shows you what is on your hard drive and how much space these folders and files are taking up (See link).
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22694

Ask a Question