Prb w FireWire CODEC & iMovie

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Sony CODEC converter so I can use my old camcorder with iMovie. It works great on my 867 Mhz G4 Powerbook, but not on my new mac mini.

The Powerbook is running 10.3 iMove 2 or 3 (I think it's not here right now) the mini is running 10.4.4 and iMovie 5.0.2(111).

Any ideas?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

How did the Sony Codec 'get' on the PowerBook ?

Did you install it from somewhere ? Was there a CD supplied with Camcorder ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Sorry for not being more clear. The CODEC converter is a small piece of hardware that takes an analog signal to a digital signal through RCA to FireWire and visa versa.

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/medical/img/dvmc-da1.gif

In moving from one computer to the other I just move the FireWire cable. I verified the FireWire on the mini works before I posted.

I don’t think drivers are an issue in moving the box between 5 different computers in the past it was just plug and play.

I'm inclined to think it is something to do with iMovie, because iMovie can't talk directly to the camera.

In the old iMovie it says there is no camera connected, then when I hit play the video shows up.

I will see if I can find some more info on the CODEC box.

Thanks
Nitrox

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

it's okay to have your own thread ! Have as many as you want, we have plenty ;-)

I used to have a similar problems and sometimes found if switched my 'converter' box from "Analogue to Digital Mode" to "Digital to Analogue Mode" and back again...iMovie would then recognise it.

iMovieHD seems to capture fine through my converter box, without me having to 'cycle' it through different modes...

Try cycling the power on the box with iMovie open...

Which model converter do you have ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried every possible combination and routine I can think of. None of them produce different results.

The box is a SONY DVMC-DA1.

Most of the info I can find in from about 2000 A.D.

Any thoughts?

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

everything I've found so far...it's not supported ;-)

I'll keep it on my watch list, just in case anything pops up !

regards

Ric

Ask a Question