Powermac G5 shut down by starting automatically

Reaction score
hello..

if I start my powermac G5 he arrives to open the white window with the apple logo.. but then he switch off automatically.. I cleared the pRam.. and the safe boot mode didn't work.. so i have no idea anymore what i could do..

if I would repair the system disk with the system-dvd.. the disk utility make this:
--
First Aid failed

Disk Utility stopped repairing "System" because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit
--

no idea - what's this.. can anybody help me?

thanks a lot!

Reaction score
single user mode

Hi, thanks a lot!!

Yea I can start in this mode.. But then - what I've to fill in.. There is a black window with Text..

---------
If you wish to boot the system, but stay in the single user mode:
sh/etc/rc
----------

is it this what I have to do?

greets!

Ric

Reaction score
Re: single user mode

Hi there,

sorry I should have been more specific, the instructions of what to try, once in Single User Mode were in the 'link' I posted...

As per the link...

Type:
Code:
mount -uw /

Press Return

There is a space between "mount" and "-". There is a space between "w" and "/".

This mounts the disk then...

Type:
Code:
mv /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist preferences1.old

Press Return

There is a space between "mv" and "/". There is a space between "plist" and "preferences1.old".

This renames the Login preference file to preferences1.old which means that if the file was corrupt then a new one will be created on the next reboot, then...

Type:
Code:
mv /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist preferences2.old

Press Return.

This renames the window preference file to preferences1.old which means that if the file was corrupt then a new one will be created on the next reboot, then...

Type:
Code:
reboot

Press Return

This reboots your Mac...let us know if this gets you any further.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question