Powermac G4 screen problems

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first time at this site so hello all.....:)
I have long been contemplating on getting an apple computer. I have been using windows based pcs for quite some time now and really want to change. I have been told so much about apple that i got myself a powermac G4 for a great price from ebay.I know its an older model but it has a gig ram,dvd,40g hard drive.....
When i booted it up for the first time the welcome audio sounded, then the apple logo appeared on the screen and then the screen went black and remained black. I am using a samsung 20" lcd as its primary monitor and i am guessing that the video card is not compatible with the Lcd tv?
Im not totally sure but would really appreciate some advice on this as i really want to check this machine out so i can decide on getting a new one in the summer.
thanks

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome !

On the eBay auction can you remember if it gave any more details about what 'model' it is ?

This would help to track down what type of video card it has ?

I presume it was sold as 'working' ?

The PC that you are using now, does that have a different monitor ? Could you try that ? Or is that computer using the LCD ?

The fact the the Apple Logo appeared would suggest that the Mac is 'seeing' the monitor okay...

Did it come with any OS CD's ?

regards & welcome to the Apple community !

Ric

Reaction score
hi, thanks for the quick reply,

Yes the machine was sold as working...but without monitor and keyboard. I already have a compatible keyboard and mouse and presumed i could just hook up to my t.v just like i do with my laptop.

The model is the AGP graphics...one of the older ones i believe. I dont have any other monitors but im keeping my eye out for any type of 2nd hand one just to see if i can change settings or update drivers.

I did not get any o.s cd's but i was told that tiger 10.9 was preinstalled. When the screen goes black, music still plays from the tower.

thanks

Ric

Reaction score
chinbags said:
...music still plays from the tower.

What type of Music ? I'm intrigued.

If Tiger 10.4 is installed, try rebooting and hold down the Shift key whilst booting this runs Safe Mode...it may get a bit further. Let us know.

regards

Ric

Ask a Question