powerbook and it's fan

Reaction score
I recently (about 2 months ago) purchased a used PowerBook. It is a G3, Pismo, made in 2000.

It is great and fits my needs. However, in the last week or so, I have noticed that the fan comes on most of time now. It never once came on for at least the first month I had it. Now, about 15-20 minutes into using it, the fan kicks on and will stay on until I am finished. I wouldn't normally mind, but the noise is really starting to get to me. And, now I am worried that there is a problem.....

Is this a bad sign? Does it mean that I don't have much time left with this computer before it dies? HELP!!! :(

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome,

the fan kicks in when the laptop is getting to hot...

Has the ambient temperature changed a lot ?

Are the vents free from dust ?

Where are you using the laptop...on the carpet...lap...or on a desk ?

It could also be a sign that the sensor controlling the fan has given up.

Do you have an Apple Hardware Test Disk ?

regards

Ric

Reaction score
No ambient temperature change, no dust on the vents, I mainly use it on a desk or table.

I don't have an apple hardware test disk. Can I buy one?

Thanks so much for you help!!!

Ric

Reaction score
Hi there,

download Temperature Monitor and see let us know the results.

The chances are that you have a temperature sensor that is malfunctioning...telling the Mac that it is hotter than it actually is, therefore the fan is kicking in more often.

You may be able to get the Apple Harware Test Disk from ebay. But all it will confirm is if it as 'at fault or not', it doesn't 'fix it'.

With it being an older Mac the repair cost would probably be more than the purchase of another one from ebay...

If you can live with the noise then just ignore it, otherwise get some tools out crack open the case so that you can have a look at the fan, give it a clean with some compressed air (sometimes hair/dust can get on the fan and stop it rotating as it should) then see how you get on.

regards

Ric

regards

Ric

Ask a Question